• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#11 Admin spameroo

spameroo

Elder of Tallon IV

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 4,842 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:11 PM

So that brings me to my question. Is there a mechanism that makes certain that the rating system isn't abused ?

Yes, and it's called moderators ;)

However, Prime told me that there are only thread rating mods, not post rating, so I think we'd be stuck with just the warning system.

Oh well, I think that's better than nothing, and you can set it so people can have negative ratings, which are good things that mean you're exceptional. However, they'd only be visible to yourself and the mods, so it wouldn't be the same as a rating system.

Still though, I think we should do the warning system...

Oh, and Linx, what puts the most strain on me is seeing CS suck ;)

EDIT: Oh, by the way, to clear one more thing up, only Admins and possibly Mods can warn people with the system IPB has.

Edited by spameroo, 25 August 2006 - 07:14 PM.

#12 Admin Mega

Mega

Elder of /dev/null

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:14 PM

I say we should make the state California.

I second.

And you have just literally described yourself as one of the people who have lessened the quality of their posts as described in spameroo's post. Thank you for proving him correct.

Now, on-topic, I say we(as in, I) install a mod that disallows users to post if the post has less than a set amount of characters. That's right, everything you post has to be thought out, and it will be like writing an essay.

In fact, I will now be watching how people on here post, and if you post something I deem non-postworthy, I will take moderatory, if not administrative(if need be) action against you. This includes a warning, suspensions, and banning. If you attempt to or succeed in circumventing these punishments, I will proceed to ban you, without a chance for you to question it. If you complain to me on another form of communication, I will thoroughly explain to you your fault, and and then proceed to block you if you become too much of a hassle.

If you attempt to circumvent a form of punishment through the form of an illegal way, I will get your IP address, resolve it, and call your ISP and complain to them that you have gained access to this site through illegal means.

I will no longer be the "nice" fixer-admin-guy-person-thing I've come to be known as. Welcome to a real forum.

Thank you, and have a nice day.

Edited by Megatog615, 25 August 2006 - 07:19 PM.

#13 Gladjaframpf

Gladjaframpf

Level 1

• Zoomer
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:18 PM

I'm new here and I wasn't a member of LT, so I can't really see the downhill trend you're describing yet. However, I think that your ideas of using the rating and warning systems would encourage people to put more time and effort into their posts.

It seems to me that it wouldn't be impossible for the admins to be reasonably strict and still act in some ways as regular members of the forum. Clear guidelines on what is and isn't an offense would be good, because it's when things are left up to the discretion of a single admin or mod that people start to get worried. If there's a guide you can check to make sure your post is okay before you post it, then you don't have to worry that some mod won't like it. As long as the rules are general agreed upon by the community then people should only rarely have reason to complain that they were unfairly punished.

#14 Admin EP

EP

Elder of Zebes

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 8,365 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:19 PM

I say we should make the state California.

I second.

And you have just literally described yourself as one of the people who have lessened the quality of their posts as described in spameroo's post. Thank you for proving him correct.

The post only lasted for a second. It was made to give a quick laugh, and was then deleted.

#15 LinxAwakening

LinxAwakening

Columnist

• Diamont
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:20 PM

So that brings me to my question. Is there a mechanism that makes certain that the rating system isn't abused ?

However, Prime told me that there are only thread rating mods, not post rating, so I think we'd be stuck with just the warning system.

Oh well, I think that's better than nothing, and you can set it so people can have negative ratings, which are good things that mean you're exceptional. However, they'd only be visible to yourself and the mods, so it wouldn't be the same as a rating system.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, to clear one more thing up, only Admins and possibly Mods can warn people with the system IPB has.

Yea Spam, I'm 200% for the warning system! I think it would be good to give to the ability to warn to staff too, but it's not necessary. I guess it would just be a good way, because I know a couple people can't see every post made. It would be a good way to make sure everything everywhere is taken care of :)

As for the rating system, it's ok if we don't have it, but I thought it could have been sweet to have :) I guess we all will just have to donate :P

And yay spam :D That makes me happy! But I still don't want you guys under too much stress... I mean I still remember when the transfer was happening... You guys were swamped. I don't want that happening agian :(

#16 Ganon

Ganon

Level 3

• Chozo Lore Keeper
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:22 PM

I guess what you mean is that mods can actually see who rated what and why. But i guess its a waste really since we only have IPB 1.3. Then i guess its time we get IPB 2.1.

For those that don't know, IPB 2.1 can be purchased for only $185/215 (yes, only ;)) depending on if ya get the extended support, a one time fee that gives us the best possible version of IPB with upgraded tools that make sure the site is more secure and just better then what IPB 1.3 has to offer. One of those things already mentioned, is the rating system that Prime was talking about. Ofcourse there is more, but i will just let Prime make a thread at the Importan and Updates Board so that people can see the benefits of 2.1 (ofcourse if they wish too do so) and donate money so that we can obtain this version of IPB 2.1.

And EP, PM me your mailing adress already! If you want money for 2.1! >:(

Edit: I fixed the price for a IPB2.1 forum. ~ Prime

Edited by Prime, 25 August 2006 - 07:28 PM.

#17 LinxAwakening

LinxAwakening

Columnist

• Diamont
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:24 PM

Now, on-topic, I say we(as in, I) install a mod that disallows users to post if the post has less than a set amount of characters. That's right, everything you post has to be thought out, and it will be like writing an essay.

Mega, I don't think we need to go as far as creating limits like the character control, for there are threads that just can't get more than a couple of words in them. Something like PixlePink and Google Hunts wouldn't work with that in place. I just think we need to rely on the warning system, and the mods at this point. That I think will help the most, and not such restricitions.

#18 Admin spameroo

spameroo

Elder of Tallon IV

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 4,842 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:26 PM

No Ganon, what I mean is that only Admins and Mods have the ability to warn people, and that the only person who can view an individual's warn level is that individual, and the mods and admins.

#19 Admin Mega

Mega

Elder of /dev/null

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:27 PM

I guess what you mean is that mods can actually see who rated what and why. But i guess its a waste really since we only have IPB 1.3. Then i guess its time we get IPB 2.1.

For those that don't know, IPB 2.1 can be purchased for only $215 (yes, only...;) ), a one time fee that gives us the best possible version of IPB with upgraded tools that make sure the site is more secure and just better then what IPB 1.3 has to offer. One of those things already mentioned, is the rating system that Prime was talking about. Ofcourse there is more, but i will just let Prime make a thread at the Importan and Updates Board so that people can see the benefits of 2.1 (ofcourse if they wish too do so) and donate money so that we can obtain this version of IPB 2.1.

And EP, PM me your mailing adress already! If you want money for 2.1! >:(

I'd rather not have to upgrade the forum, and then have to upgrade all the mods I've installed on here. Maybe when there's a good reason for it. Currently, 1.3.1 suits our needs perfectly, and has none of the extra bullshit we don't need, which further increase load times for pages. I'm sorry, but I've used 2.1 and it's a bitch to configure. Not to mention, if we don't like it, we can't downgrade.

#20 Admin Mega

Mega

Elder of /dev/null

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:28 PM

Mega, I don't think we need to go as far as creating limits like the character control, for there are threads that just can't get more than a couple of words in them. Something like PixlePink and Google Hunts wouldn't work with that in place. I just think we need to rely on the warning system, and the mods at this point. That I think will help the most, and not such restricitions.

Fine. Then we'll remove the limitations on those boards. Clearly, we're in need of a mod such as this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users