63 replies to this topic

#41 CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

has no sense of humor

• Chozo Chancellor
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

Yeah, that's Hot Topic.

I don't think this was the best CMC episode, but it was their best song. And as far as episodes clearly themed around addressing a problem maybe only younger kids will experience, it was perfect.

The one where they chronicle every cutie mark is the best episode with them, but they just move it along. They aren't really the focus, so I don't count it.

@Bully story.

My school life was mostly shit from beginning to junior year in high school, when all of the assholes that made my life hell either dropped out or took classes I didn't take. Maybe that's why I liked the episode. Kinda resonated with me :P

#42 Blackskullgreymon

Blackskullgreymon

Level 11

• ... with envy
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

The Gilda episode was a bully episode, too, but the conflict was handled entirely differently. It wasn't a matter of "how do you deal with a bully" it was "wtf my friends aren't taking my side when I say she's a massive cunt." I think I want to see another bully episode where Celestia sends another one of her students to visit Twilight to learn from her, and Twilight feels like she should be a mentor but the pony who is supposed to be learning kind of gets resentful and rebellious and gives Twilight a tough time.

I don't know, I'm thinking about this one topic a lot.

#43 Blackskullgreymon

Blackskullgreymon

Level 11

• ... with envy
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

Funny thing about tomorrow's new episode.

This is sort of along the lines of what I was talking about. The kind of rival-level bullying episode. It's neat to see the return of a character (that kinda makes me hope we see Gilda again, soon), but it looks like we're seeing more black magic. A lot of fans took note of how weird it was for Twilight to learn and practice some evil magic in the season premier, even though it was barely touched upon, so Trixie bringing that theme of evil magic not leading to friendship to the foreground. I normally don't mind waiting until "whenever" to catch a new episode, but this one I'm really looking forward to.

#44 CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

has no sense of humor

• Chozo Chancellor
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:07 PM

So this thread hasn't had a new post in over six months, yet it's still on the front page of off topic!

Well, I'll give it a bump. I meant to post about Season Three at some point, but never got around to it. I guess the TL;DR was "it was okay but very much a step down, but that might be because it was only half as long so the meh episodes really stood out"

There.

Now, I just got done watching Equestria Girls because it was uploaded onto Youtube and I don't value my time as much as I thought I did.

God bloody fuck what a trainwreck. Spoiler warning for you BSGM, if you haven't seen it yet.

When it wasn't being bad, it was boring and generic, which is a shame since the show itself tries to stay away from "boring and generic" even if the episode plots themselves are tropey and the characters are highly archetypal. HASHTAGOGOODWRITING. Or something.

So Twilight loses her magical crown because Sunset Shimmer (love that name by the way) stole it because she's a cunt. We find out she was Cellestias former pupil but ran off to do whatever. She goes through a portal into a new world, and Twilight has to follow her. She has three days to get her crown back or the portal will close for "30 moons" which could mean anything since the ponies mandate seasons and for all I know the phases of the moon as well. I mean, Cellestia says she controls the sun, so Luna probably controls the moon.

(When Sunset Shimmer turned into a bitch and didn't get imprisoned on the moon like Luna's change to Nightmare Moon, I bet Luna was pretty pissed. She smiled too damn much for that kind of treatment!)

So only Twilight can go through because, "we don't know how it will effect the balance" which is kind of a lame excuse but okay. Spike follows her and basically acts as the straight man, which is amusing and why he's the best. Twilight turns itno a human and starts freaking out and Spike basically says, "get over it" to her, only not in those words.

And then the movie devolves into generic "I don't know how to act in this body" and "this is a high school told from the eyes of writers who haven't been in high school!" and it's just...well, boring and stupid. I expected as much, so there's that.

It bothers me that such physical transformations aren't given their proper weight. Going from a four legged thing to a two legged thing would be FUCKED UP and pretty frightening, but that only lasts for ten or so minutes and is played off for laughs and little else. Meanwhile, Spike is turned into a dog for whatever reason and doesn't seem to give much of a fuck, despite losing his ability to breathe fire. I'd give just a bit of a fuck about that.

Twilight loses magic.

And there's the thing. Sunset SHimmer fucks off ot human world and LOSES HER MAGIC, and then BECOMES THE HEAD BULLY OF A SCHOOL and she's pretty fine with that. The plot holes man, the plot holes! "I'm in charge here" she says, but that means dick since it's a high school.

Well, Twilight needs her crown back, which Sunset manages to lose. But thankfully the principal grabs it and now it's the crown that will be placed on the winner of some prom style party that I've forgotten the name of. Instead of attempting to steel it though, Twilight figures she'll just enter and win this popularity contest!

I mean, it is her crown. No one would fault her for petty theft, right?

So then more inbetween shit happens and she runs into human versions of her friends, all of which retain the same names. Rainbow Dash is a name I'll gladly accept for a pastel colored pony, but a pastel colored human? It's just silly. I realize how retarded this paragraph is, but it bothered me.

Eventually Twilight gets all of her friends together, and they go "WE WILL HLEP YOU WIN" and so they do. The main problem of "Fuck Twilight, she's the socially awkward new girl" is solved by everyone singing a song and passing out furry accessories since SCHOOL PRIDE equals "dress up like horses" (it is Canterlot School with a horse mascot afterall).

The song is catchy as fuck though. One of the highlights of hte movie, even if, plot wise, it was retarded.

Then more shit happens that's not important, and Twilight wins the crown by it gets stolen again. Sunset Shimmer puts it on and turns into a fucking succubus with magical powers (why?) and wreaks havoc on the school. Then she attacks Twilight and co who use the magic of friendship (magic doens't work here but okay) to stop her, and that's how the movie pretty much ends.

Many of the episodes have problems of ending too quickly, especially in season three. I don't know why that continued when the writers had 90 minutes instead of 20.

Twilight fucks back off to normal world, and Sunset SHimmer is left in human world. Sucks to be her.

OH! The magic of the crown turns all of the main six into Neko characters with horse ears and tails, which wouldn't be fucked up at all. Two get wings and the others get fucked on that deal. They lose the animal appendages when Twilight leaves though.

But it's like, in normal world, that shit's fucked. How cna things go back to normal after that?

Well, who cares, Twilight fucks back off to Equestria and this blip in time gets to be ignored in season four!

To be fair, Pinkie had some pretty funny lines and basically proves the theory that she's God. Spike had some good moments as well.

BLUH though. I knew it would be bad, but it was bad and lazy. That's just...bad.

Edited by CONKERSBADFURDAY, 11 August 2013 - 02:11 PM.

#45 Blackskullgreymon

Blackskullgreymon

Level 11

• ... with envy
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:35 PM

I was shocked to discover this film was in theatres, but since I have taste I've been avoiding it like the plague.

The thing is, just from the character design alone, it's super clear that this is why Hasbro hired Lauren Faust in the first place.  She left, and this was the first thing they came up with.  In true Hasbro fashion.  They learned nothing, they changed nothing, they got a golden goose and said, "I wonder what it would look like on a surfboard."  

#46 CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

has no sense of humor

• Chozo Chancellor
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:32 PM

I was shocked to discover this film was in theatres, but since I have taste I've been avoiding it like the plague.

The thing is, just from the character design alone, it's super clear that this is why Hasbro hired Lauren Faust in the first place.  She left, and this was the first thing they came up with.  In true Hasbro fashion.  They learned nothing, they changed nothing, they got a golden goose and said, "I wonder what it would look like on a surfboard."  

Everything that makes the show special is gone in the movie.

And then more plot holes.

Man, I forgot to bitch about the designs, which I really do not like! The animation is as fluid as ever, but everything is just ugly.

#47 Blackskullgreymon

Blackskullgreymon

Level 11

• ... with envy
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:05 PM

Well, it's clear they were doing the business thing where this wasn't necessarily made for the little girl fanbase they already have as much as the fanbase that likes Monster High and Hasbro doesn't have its claws in, yet.  If current MLP fans could enjoy this, great, but if they could capitalize on a spin-off fanfiction alternate reality that some consumers found somehow more relatible, then, yay.

#48 CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

has no sense of humor

• Chozo Chancellor
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

Well, it's clear they were doing the business thing where this wasn't necessarily made for the little girl fanbase they already have as much as the fanbase that likes Monster High and Hasbro doesn't have its claws in, yet.  If current MLP fans could enjoy this, great, but if they could capitalize on a spin-off fanfiction alternate reality that some consumers found somehow more relatible, then, yay.

True. Though I will say, the "Helping Twilight Win the Crown" song is probably one of the better showtunes of the series, even if it's contextually retarded.

I listened to it again today because I lack self will, and fuck is it catchy.

Though it lacks some of that extra animation "pop" that the other songs in the show had. I mean, if you watch the Babs Seed song, the choreography is way better. Same with "Raise that Barn" (even if that one is lyrically sloppy).

And maybe that's simply because they made humans dance and not ponies do whatever it is ponies do. We've seen plenty of choreography with humans in other shows, and a lot in the openings/closings of various anime, so it just was maybe kind of boring. If that makes sense.

There's the song if you haven't heard it yet. The context is "We need to help Twilight win this popularity contest in TWO DAYS even though she's not a student and most students wouldn't give this much of a fuck" which is clearly better than "just steel that stupid thing and fuck off back to home"

#49 CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

has no sense of humor

• Chozo Chancellor
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:48 PM

So. Bumping this because season four has started!

Gonna be honest, was a bit wary going into season four. Season three was alright, but it hurt from having fewer episodes with the same amount of duds as the other two seasons. Good ideas abound, sure, but not always good execution.

Plus Sombre would have been better as a natural disaster and not a villain, even if the Crystal Empire was cool.

So, we start off with Twilight still an alicorn, but I've since gotten over that because I'm a fucking adult.

But ya know, she might have wings, but she's still Twilight. Still panics over silly shit, still basically orgasms over books, and yeah. Worked out pretty well. The two openers were really solid, which was nice after so much doom and gloom from other fans. There was some "looking into the past" stuff and Cellestia and Nightmare Moon had a pretty snazzy battle with lasers from their horns and everything.

Discord made an appearance, and he's totally still Discord, which was a fear after season three.

Other than Pinkie Pie turning into an almost parody of herself, which really does bother me since at one point she was my favorite, openers were really good. Liked the ending, and the show tends to fumble its endings.

Second episode, or episode three I suppose, continued off of the last one a bit. Magical keys need to be found, that kinda thing. All the characters wound up in a spooky castle and it was really just a laugh fest. Nothing much more than that, but really enjoyable.

Damn nice to see Rarity get some lines. She had almost none in season three.

So off to a great start. Quite happy.

#50 CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

has no sense of humor

• Chozo Chancellor
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:03 AM

Prime you are a beautiful bastard.

Also the last few episodes have been really solid. Applejack and Rarity are getting some well deserved love, Rarity especially. She as barely in season three, but she's had at least two episodes devoted to her so far, though I think three is the right number and I'm just forgetting one.

The few Fluttershy eps we've gotten have been good as well, and I don't normally care for her. The writers have made her a lot less annoying, which is cool.

The showtunes have been in pretty tiptop shape too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users