Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Nintendo ceasing select Wii services in late June 2013 (EUR, JPN, and US)

nintendo wii services discontinuation end of an era channels wiiconnect24

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ngamer01

Ngamer01

Level 9000

• Odama
  • 6,211 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:34 AM

http://www.gonintend...story&id=200131

Remember this is Australia only for now, but could easily happen in other regions too, especially since Nintendo of America never likes to warn people in advance...

The following Channels and services will no longer work on June 28, 2013 and beyond in Australia, even if you start certain services from the Wii Menu:

- Nintendo Channel
- News Channel
- Forecast Channel
- Everybody Votes Channel
- Mii Contest Channel
- Data exchange with Wii Friends via WiiConnect24*

* Exchange of Wii messages on the Wii Message Board, exchange of Mii characters on the Mii Channel and message/data exchange within some games will be disabled.

From 28th June 2013, the above services will no longer be available even if they are started up from the Wii Menu. However, services other than those mentioned above, such as the Wii Shop Channel and “Today’s Accomplishments” on the Wii Message Board, will remain available.

Better get in your WiiConnect24ing while you still can!

Edited by Ngamer01, 12 April 2013 - 01:27 PM.

#2 Ngamer01

Ngamer01

Level 9000

• Odama
  • 6,211 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

http://nsider2.com/f...-to-end-on-628/

Update:  Nintendo of Europe and Japan gave their notices.  Nintendo of America hasn't announced a warning, but we expect them to follow suit with the discontinuation of Wii services.

If you're familiar with how the Wii U Wii Mode works, the original Wii will basically match parity with Wii U's Wii Mode.  You can still play online through NWFC and use the Wii Shop Channel, but you can't gift anymore, send Wii-mail, take advantage of WiiConnect24 features like Mario Kart Wii's Mario Kart Channel, or use the Channels slated to end as noted in the first post.

#3 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

Wow, they're really burning down everything that was Wii.

Next they'll shut down Brawl/Online servers, and ultimately the Disc Channel will go too.

Edited by Plant42, 12 April 2013 - 12:57 PM.

#4 Ngamer01

Ngamer01

Level 9000

• Odama
  • 6,211 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

http://www.nintendo....wDqL-eDnX6u9qjk

And it's official.  NoA has put up the same notice the other regions got.

#5 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

So, who wants to get those Corruption/Trilogy friend tokens like, now? :P

#6 Ngamer01

Ngamer01

Level 9000

• Odama
  • 6,211 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

I'm good on the Friend Token front so it would be a waste to send me more.  Besides I couldn't accept more anyways since I moved my Wii stuff to the U.  =P

#7 Sage AtownKED

AtownKED

Level 4

• Sage Sage
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:56 AM

I hope they'll at least remake the Check Mii Out channel for the Wii U, maybe the Everybody Votes. 

Anyway, now I don't have to feel as bad for moving my Wii stuff over to Wii U, which I thought was premature at the time.

#8 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:27 AM

I hope they'll at least remake the Check Mii Out channel for the Wii U, maybe the Everybody Votes. 

Anyway, now I don't have to feel as bad for moving my Wii stuff over to Wii U, which I thought was premature at the time.

I don't get why everyone loved that damn Check Mii Out channel. That's the first channel I actually stopped caring about on Wii. I used all the other channels a lot more than that one, but everyone else with a Wii seemed to love that damn channel.it was nteresting at first because it was something new, but it was a huge pain in the ass to find what you were looking for--that is, you can't properly search for anything. I soon got frustrated and bored with it and stoped using the channnel altogether.

#9 Ngamer01

Ngamer01

Level 9000

• Odama
  • 6,211 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

Yeah finding good Miis was a bitch and people always f'd up the contests by just spamming unrelated Miis which made judging contests pretty much impossible.

Like with many things with Nintendo, there were good ideas, but flawed in their execution.  I would like to see Check Mii Out come back, but revamped so that you can actually find good Miis and there should be better measures to deter spam submissions to contests.

Edited by Ngamer01, 15 April 2013 - 08:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users