• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:34 PM

Edit 2: Official announcement from Don Mattrick is up: http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

Edit: Updates to the official Xbox One Q&A page have confirmed that the previously announced Xbox One DRM features have been removed. The page is currently down due to traffic, but can be found here: http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

GiantBomb is reporting off of multiple sources that Microsoft has decided to remove the Xbox One's laundry list of DRM related features, nearly one month after the were revealed.

The list of changes includes:
  • No more always online requirement
  • The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
  • All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
  • Authentication is no longer necessary
  • An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
  • All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
  • No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
  • Region locks have been dropped
http://www.giantbomb...e-dr/1100-4673/

So, what do you guys think? Legit, or publicized pipe-dream? If it was so easy to remove these restrictions, why were they apparently necessary before, and could they add them again? Would this change your opinion on the Xbox One or has the damage been done?

#2 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

If it's from the official xbox site then I think it might be legit, but I hope it's not because I want the xbox to eat a huge dick next gen.

I had already decided to go PS4 regardless of what happens, so there was no "damage done" that influenced that prior decision. I just like the idea of Xbone sucking total ass and being a huge failure while I enjoy my PS4. :P

Edited by Plant42, 19 June 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#3 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

Sadly it appears that with this reversal, Microsoft has also packed up their previously announced new features, like disc-less play, reselling of digitally purchased games, and sharing games through Xbox Live.

Also, the official announcement from Don Mattrick is now linked at the top of the page.

#4 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:22 PM

I guess that's true, but I'm sure that gamers would prefer to have their Xbones with all of the standard features expected of a gaming console and without some of the cool features. But yeah, I'm all for M$ continuing to innovate on the digital front as they planned to before. :) Let's see some digital progress at the expense of the western gaming console. :D

Anyway, why do people say Laundry List? Nobody needs to make a list to go to the laundromat, and if they did, it wouldn't be a long list. Why not Grocery List? P'shaww.

Also, I just found this. :P

tumblr_moaqnoXLCg1sums1wo1_400.gif

Edited by Plant42, 19 June 2013 - 02:32 PM.

#5 CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

has no sense of humor

• Chozo Chancellor
  • 6,859 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:43 PM

the idea that they wanted to do this and that such features are so easily removed still makes me uneasy about the console. Whose to say this couldn't come back in a year or two, when the vocal rage has died down and people all but forgot DRM on a console was even a thing.

And just given the way Microsoft has been acting about this whole thing, I"d rather not support them this go around.

#6 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:10 PM

Well the thing is, like EP has already argued, Microsoft was clearly envisioning the first all-digital console (discs on the X1 were only supposed to be for convenience's sake and to avoid pissing off retailers). They weren't just instituting some draconian DRM because they're evil or whatever, which is why they actually had a lot of neat features being coming from it as well (anywhere access to your library, family sharing, disc-free play, and digital resale). I honestly don't see these DRM features coming back, because by removing them in the first-place Microsoft is giving up on that entire vision, rather than making a strategic PR move to get back angry fanboys before pulling a bait and switch.

Also, it seems that out of the box the Xbox One will actually still behave as originally planned. You'll be required to download a substantial day one software update a la the Wii U in order to convert the console into its new Xbox 360-like setup.

#7 Blackskullgreymon

Blackskullgreymon

Level 11

• ... with envy
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:44 PM

Fucking damn it.  I read this headline on Kotaku, and my first reaction was just, "I'm out."  

I was still on the fence as to which system I liked more, and the Xbox One was shaping up to be a better-than-steam-like experience that in the end might just win me over.  If they're removing the stuff that I liked and in its place becoming exactly the same as the competition, it just reinforces my every fear about Microsoft's stance on business, which boils down to "as soon as things look bad, let's backtrack 100%".  They can't commit to fucking anything, so every one of their campaign promises could be taken away at any moment.  It wouldn't surprise me if a year from now they aren't even doing the cloud computing anymore.  

I'm bloody out.  They don't seem to be demonstrating any sort of clear goal for their design perspective at all.  We all knew the DRM stuff was just coding that can be changed at any moment, but to pull this shit a week after E3, when we don't even have a release date yet, kinda blows my mind.  Why even bother, you know?  Why get up in the morning and say, "Boy, I sure am happy to work at Microsoft on the new Xbox, and I sure do know what I'm doing today" if one too many articles on Kotaku is enough to make you rewrite everything the last month has been spent selling people on. 

#8 Sumodude

Sumodude

Level 3

• Diamont
  • 1,269 posts
  • Nintendo ID:Sumodude
  • 3DS Code:0619-3946-6498

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:16 PM

I have to admit... I was kind of expecting this. There was just too much negative press on the Xbox One, I couldn't see Microsoft just sitting pretty. Still, a total reversal is a bit extreme, and honestly looks a bit "weak" from a P.R. standpoint.

I guess this is mostly a good thing in the long run, though. It's just a shame that M$ felt it had to be done like this.

#9 Blackskullgreymon

Blackskullgreymon

Level 11

• ... with envy
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

I heard an interesting argument, just recently.  Someone was saying how all the bad DRM publicity is really bad right now, but come Holiday Season, when people want to buy video games, the average customer isn't the guy on the forums still complaining about a 24 hour check-in.  Getting all this negative hype out of the way now is actually kind of smart because it gives them time to recuperate for launch time.

I think even though the person I'm paraphrasing was talking about the DRM being bad, maybe the same thing applies to that "they look weak" thing.  Kind of like when an MMO changes into a free-to-play model, it looks bad, even if on paper it's better.  

Maybe all this stuff was enough for Microsoft to feel like it's now or never to change how things work.  Rather than risking the system not selling well next to the PS4, they are now no longer risking losing 3rd party support like the WiiU is from its weak launch.

#10 Blackskullgreymon

Blackskullgreymon

Level 11

• ... with envy
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:07 PM

So now, the Kinect doesn't need to be plugged in at all for the One to run.  

So there's that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users