Photo

How do you feel about the Xbox One NOW?

Xbox One Xbox Microsoft DRM

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Poll: Microsoft has changed the Xbox One (10 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think about the changes?

1. I'm indifferent, I feel the same way I did before (7 votes [70.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 70.00%

2. I'm psyched, this is great news! (1 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

3. I'm miffed, I was fully ready to support Microsoft's digital future (2 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:47 PM

So, now that Microsoft has pulled a complete reversal on their online/DRM plans, how do you feel about the Xbox One? Are you excited to have a more open platform? Annoyed that they're delaying the inevitable and axing some great features because of it? Or do you just straight up don't care either way? Sound off below!

#2 Blackskullgreymon

Blackskullgreymon

Level 11

• ... with envy
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

It's interesting, because while everyone was betting on this happening sooner or later (but not this soon), I was betting on the opposite.  The same way that PS4 now asks you to pay to play online, I was sure that the PC style of DRM would be hitting the Sony platform, at least in some small way as the Xbox One would demonstrate it to not be a system-killer.

Basically, I'm a lil pissed that some of the redeeming stuff about the Xbox One is no more, but I'm also a lil miffed that this may encourage the continuation of online passes, exclusive DLC for preorders, and other stuff that is nothing more than annoying attempts at ensuring consumers pay for their games.

It did hurt the Xbox in a lot of ways, but I honestly believed their stance on DRM would have kind of blown over with time, and come Halo 5 it'd just be something that everyone accepts totally and people would kind of laugh at what a big deal it once was.  

I was sort of leaning towards becoming a PS4 fan, but when I read this it really sealed the deal.  I'm out.  I'm done.  It's over.  I love my gamerscore.  I love my memories playing Gears and Halos, but it's over for me.  I'm going 100% Japan on my hardware for the next couple years.

This bizarre outcry really just harkens back to the Mass Effect 3 ending that got patched.  The noisest fucking minority can make enough catchy Facebook meems to change how businesses do business.  I appreciate Microsoft for listening to the consumer for once, but encouraging a bunch of whiny fuck babies just kinda makes me a lil depressed on a whole.

Edited by Blackskullgreymon, 19 June 2013 - 06:27 PM.

#3 Admin EP

EP

Elder of Zebes

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 8,365 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

I went with miffed as well. Today I also found that the Xbox One is not a DVR, just that it has some jank setup to control you're DVR. That with knowing that they are basically doing the same type of setup next generation as I have with my 360 now really makes me less hyped about the One. Paying $500 for Halo and a console that was designed to really be a new type of thing was one thing, but now it seems like the worst of both worlds (I guess they do still have Halo...)

#4 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

I'm ultimately Indifferent (so I voted for that) because my opinion on my next gen console wasn't going to change regardless, but I'm sorta "miffed" cuz I wanted the Xbone to be an inconvenient box of shit and now M$ is backing down on their plan. :P

#5 CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

has no sense of humor

• Chozo Chancellor
  • 6,859 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:24 PM

I'm indifferent, but that shouldn't be surprising as I fuck apathy well into the middle of the night before rolling over and not caring if she leaves or not.

Just gonna take a second to appreciate that.

Yeup.

Okay.

When MIcrosoft unleashed their shitstorm of DRM and other things I didn't like, I went to the mindset of "fuck it, I'll stick to my PC until I really need a new console, and that might not happen" and while Microsoft changed their stance, I don't think I'll be changing mine. At the very least, I'll get one either used or at a nice price drop. I'll want Halo 5 and Gears whatevertheydowiththatseries, but other than that, I do not need an Xbox. I don't play my Xbox OTHER than for Halo and Gears.

#6 Admin EP

EP

Elder of Zebes

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 8,365 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:29 PM

When MIcrosoft unleashed their shitstorm of DRM and other things I didn't like, I went to the mindset of "fuck it, I'll stick with my Stream. I love how they make me keep my games forever and always make sure I'm connected to the internet before I play, not like crazy Microsoft not letting me resell games and always making me connect to the internet."

#7 gamerman99 GameBoy

gamerman99

Chozo Myth Keeper

• GameBoy GameBoy
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:54 PM

I voted indifferent. Them changing their stance does nothing to make me forgive them or forget what they initially did and said. PS4 for me in the near future, and can't wait. I think it's a better investment, both short- and long-term, and I am pumped to try some of their exclsuives.

#8 Blackskullgreymon

Blackskullgreymon

Level 11

• ... with envy
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

Literally no votes for "I'm happy" as of now, and "indifferent" is the lead.  

A lot of this comes down to how this whole DRM thing is in a lot of ways a non-issue besides how people want to emotionally be invested in the "idea" of being bullied by "big business".  

#9 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:07 PM

I voted indifferent, but really I'm both a little happy and a little annoyed, with the end result evening out to about the same. As I've said before, I never really had a problem with the DRM features on the Xbox One because, well, they literally didn't effect me at all. So in the end this reversal was a net loss for me - I was happy to play disc-free, I was pumped to be able to share a game library with my dad, and anywhere game access seemed pretty cool. On the other hand though, all of my friends have now decided to get an Xbox One at launch, making the console more appealing. I connect with my friends most through Xbox Live, so knowing they'll all be there next gen is nice.

I voted indifferent. Them changing their stance does nothing to make me forgive them or forget what they initially did and said. PS4 for me in the near future, and can't wait. I think it's a better investment, both short- and long-term, and I am pumped to try some of their exclsuives.

And regarding this ^...

Well the thing is, like EP has already argued, Microsoft was clearly envisioning the first all-digital console (discs on the X1 were only supposed to be for convenience's sake and to avoid pissing off retailers). They weren't just instituting some draconian DRM because they're evil or whatever, which is why they actually had a lot of neat features being coming from it as well (anywhere access to your library, family sharing, disc-free play, and digital resale).

#10 Prowl 1701

Prowl 1701

Level 4

• Phazon Metroid
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

I tend to hate change (still don't use twitter or instagram, and barely get on facebook.) I like the old ways of gaming consoles.  This news is much more likely to convince me to get a Xbox one, but honestly I don't want either it or the PS4 right now, I'd rather get a WiiU and a 3DS, they both have games coming that I know I want where as the One and PS4 don't have any game announcements that excite me, I don't care for Halo, COD, GOW (either franchise), or much else announced for them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users