7 replies to this topic

#1 Ngamer01

Ngamer01

Level 9000

• Odama
  • 6,213 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

http://www.gonintend...story&id=206548

Iwata's approval with investors has taken a big hit from the previous investors' meeting:

A) He currently has a 77% approval rating.

B) He's the only executive to have an approval rating of under 90% this year.

C) 2012's approval rating was 90.6%.

D) Iwata's peak approval rating was as high as 96% at one point.

Are Iwata's days numbered as Nintendo's world-wide leader?  And if Iwata goes, who will take his place and will they continue what Iwata did or do something radical?

Iwata is criticized for:

1) Botching the 3DS and Wii U launches and still letting the 3DS and Wii U markets in America and Europe be weak.

2) Letting the original Wii die with a wimper during the last two years of it's life even though some of Nintendo's problems are due to 3rd party executive meddling (which is still occurring with Wii U).

3) Not ordering "future-proof" systems being built.
>> If they did that for Wii U in the first place, they'd lose out on new money when spinning out a new Wii U hardware revision eventually from now. You know there's gonna be a hardware revision for Wii U which will cut Wii backwards support (Wii Mode mainly).

>> If Nintendo had future-proofed the Wii U with good PC architecture a la Xbone and PS4, we would have been looking at a $500 dollar Wii U which Sony and Microsoft could have loved to undercut by going with slightly weaker PC architecture, but not to the point in which they risk being denied exclusives/multiplats. Then Nintendo would have been screwed being the "PS3" of the early 8th gen.

4) Not marketing the Wii U well.  3rd parties are again part of the problem.  They need to help Nintendo market the Wii U too by providing sufficient, GOOD games, but doing things to sabotage the Wii U is not how you build a Wii U install base.

5) Not having Nintendo abandon it's platforms and going 3rd party even on mobile games.  There are two problems with this:

>> If Nintendo went 3rd party, all Nintendo would make then is frequent Marios, Zeldas, and Pokemon games.  All other non-AAA franchises like Kirby, Metroid, F-Zero, etc. would die since they are NICHE games.  Plus for Nintendo to even compete, they may have to actually make games in genres that are overdone like FPSs.  FPSs, the last great genre fad in the industry, is on the decline.  If Nintendo goes out, say hello to The Second Great Video Game Crash as nobody will make unique games anymore and people will get sick of what's available and stop buying games.

>> Going 3rd party in mobile gaming would even be worse.  Many of Nintendo's IPs just doesn't work for mobile platforms.  Also mobile gaming is suffering from the same problems Atari had before The Great Video Game Crash of 1983 (too many shit games and little quality control).

It's getting old seeing so many people just look at the short picture/only in it for fast money.    Take if Iwata should suddenly step down or get fired.  Whoever will take up the helm will continue the Nintendo tradition.  Nintendo has had a history of grooming their workers to continue what makes Nintendo, Nintendo long after the seniors/execs leave the company.  I chuckle at people thinking a new person will suddenly make Nintendo into Sony/Microsoft/Apple Jr. as that will help KILL THE INDUSTRY.

Edited by Ngamer01, 01 July 2013 - 02:28 PM.

#2 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:49 PM

Nintendo's not going to go 3rd party; they've clearly said it themselves recently. Nintendo has enough money to suffer though another weak generation even worse than GCN and still continue to push a new console in a following generation. As to whether Iwata gets the boot, I still find an unlikely possibility regardless of having a drastically lower approval rating than everyone else. If he leaves as CEO, people still shouldn't expect Nintendo to go 3rd party.

#3 Blackskullgreymon

Blackskullgreymon

Level 11

• ... with envy
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:20 PM

I don't know where to place the blame for the poor WiiU and 3DS marketing.  Walking around town, I see a lot more 3DS units out and about than I used to, but at the same time it doesn't forgive the terrible launch (but that's another topic).  The WiiU, on the other hand, is losing support left and right, it feels, and I notice the WiiU section slowly shrinking at my local stores.  They don't get many new copies of new releases, and some 3DS or Wii titles take up a little of the designated WiiU shelf space.  It's pretty clear they could be doing something better, but at the same time I wouldn't want to pay more for a Nintendo console than I did.  If they made a system that was a little more "future-proof" and a stronger competitor with the other two systems, I might lose interest in it.  

#4 Jonny The Pie King

Jonny The Pie King

100000th Post (*confetti flies*)

• Kriken
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

The first year of the 3DS was pretty shit, but they turned it around and I was under the impression that it was doing quite well in the US and Japan (no idea on europe).  I feel like I remember seeing NPD's and it being hte #1 system a few times.

The Wii U so far has been pretty fucked though.  Worse sales than the gamecube?  Check.  Extremely awful third party support?  Check.  Mario Kart and/or Smash this fall?  Neither.  Pikmin isn't a system seller, despite how great it can be.  Wonderful 101 won't be a system seller either, given how it's a new IP and I doubt it'll be marketed heavily.  The only case for a sales boost this year seems like one for a new 3D Mario and/or DK game, and if DK comes out this winter that could be it.

That being said, when your third party support is THIS bad, it's hard to see things really turn around.  I mean, EA has no more games in development for it.  Activision has Skylanders (total guess here, just assuming) and maybe CoD.  They keep saying absolutely nothing about it, so who knows on that.  Ubisoft has Splinter Cell and Rayman coming out for it, but that's about it.

If it wasn't for the games due out in 2014, I could see skipping the Wii U, but mario kart, smash, and bayonetta 2 look pretty awesome.  Give me a price drop (I mean, the PS4 will be $50 more, come on Nintendo) and we'll see.

I REALLY wish Nintendo would've gone with Xbone-level hardware without a kinect or tablet controller. Or sell it at a loss for the first time ever and include the tablet.  I mean, the PS4 and Xbone aren't top of the line hardware like the PS2 and 360 were when they released.  Nintendo could've put out a platform for a reasonable price that was more powerful and devs could've actually ported all their shit to it.  Or at least some of it, but it looks like in the next few years the Wii U is going to be hung out to dry just like the Wii was.

#5 gamerman99 GameBoy

gamerman99

Chozo Myth Keeper

• GameBoy GameBoy
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:05 PM

Honestly, the problem now is SOOO many games coming out for the 3DS that I want in such a quick timespan, I dunno where to start :(

On Iwata, Meh *shrugs* dunno, don't care really. Nintendo won't go 3rd-Party anytime soon, but maybe they oughta switch it up? I like the Directs though...

#6 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:17 PM

Nintendo's not going to go 3rd party; they've clearly said it themselves recently. Nintendo has enough money to suffer though another weak generation even worse than GCN and still continue to push a new console in a following generation. As to whether Iwata gets the boot, I still find an unlikely possibility regardless of having a drastically lower approval rating than everyone else. If he leaves as CEO, people still shouldn't expect Nintendo to go 3rd party.

People forget that if the situation gets bad enough, they won't have a choice, regardless of upper management's claims that it would "never happen" and they'd "leave the industry before going 3rd party". Nintendo is a publicly traded company and while they could easily bleed cash for a decade straight and keep limping on, do you really think their investors will let it happen?

Now that said, I'm not saying the situation will be that bad (the Wii U might be struggling, but let's face it, the 3DS is the king of the industry), just that if it did, it doesn't matter what Nintendo says.

#7 Blackskullgreymon

Blackskullgreymon

Level 11

• ... with envy
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:48 PM

Something I noticed about my 3DS is how I play Nintendo 64 games on it, but Nintendo 64 with better graphics and in 3D.  

I feel like even if Nintendo couldn't compete on the console market against the PS4 and Xbone, if they became a solely handheld company it's entirely possible they could stay afloat.  Especially when being the best from a hardware standpoint isn't their goal.  By the end of the day, a lot more people have 3DS units in their pants than Vitas, and that's not about to reverse any time soon.  It might blow, but as the fucking gameboy gets stronger and stronger and we reach that point of diminishing returns in output, who cares?  You'll get your Mario Galaxy 3 eventually, just it might be Galaxy 3D.

#8 Admin EP

EP

Elder of Zebes

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 8,365 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

I think the biggest mistake was letting the Wii die early. The last two years they lost momentum, and it make the Wii U launch that much more painful because all their home consoles were in some weird state. That being said, I think it's just something that can fix itself with more games. Nintendo has a niche where they aren't competing as directly with the PS4 and One.

@Nintendo Mobile games: I don't really see how mobile games equates to no niche games and the need for FPSes... At first I thought it was a bad idea for them just because their IP is their golden goose, but they probably could make bank selling small phone minigames. I think the concern is that they would start to eat away their handheld market, though (especially now that phones are getting controllers and becoming game systems themselves).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users