Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

PlayStation 4 to dedicate 3.5GB of RAM to OS?

PS4 PlayStation Sony

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

According to recent rumors, only 4.5GB of the PlayStation 4's 8GB of RAM will be dedicated to the games. The remaining 3.5GB will be used for the system OS, but up to 1GB of that can temporarily be used by games that support the "boost" feature, as long as the system OS isn't already using it. For comparison, the Xbox One will be split its RAM with 5GB dedicated to games and 3GB dedicated to the system's three OS's, with no news of a "boost" option.

Suddenly things are looking a lot more even and Sony fanboys are experiencing a lot more denial.

http://www.ign.com/a...reserved-for-os

#2 Blackskullgreymon

Blackskullgreymon

Level 11

• ... with envy
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:52 PM

Is this really a talking point?  I thought the whole point of the big RAM was so that the thing could run that fucking retarded OS.  Then again, I thought it was a no brainer that not including the camera would be a good way of explaining why the PS4 costs less than the Xbone, but that was a "revolutionary" discovery that the Internet made fairly recently, too.

#3 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

Exactly. I mean, really it's obvious that a big chunk of that RAM was going to go to the OS. People just assumed otherwise because Sony didn't explicitly stated it. People were so desperately willing to buy into Sony's PR and careful omissions that they've been over-looking the simple facts. The camera was cut last minute to under-cut Microsoft despite it being part of their vision for the PS4, of course the PS4 OS would eat up substantial RAM (hell, the Wii U OS even got 1GB), Sony's DRM plans were and potentially are very similar to Microsoft's original plans, etc. etc. etc.

#4 Blackskullgreymon

Blackskullgreymon

Level 11

• ... with envy
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

Oh, speaking of weird stupid opinions, I still hear people talk about the PS4 controller being stupid because it has a "large, bright, very distracting light on the top of it".  

It's super weird to complain about, especially since while you hold the controller you don't really see any of the light.  Maybe if you are sitting in front of your friend while he plays the game and staring at his hands, yeah, there could be a problem, but turning around to face the TV screen would actually solve that problem.  

It's not just stupid Sony fanboys, it's any fanboy.  It's one thing to get excited, but the systems are months away from launch and people are already calling who's won this generation and which company is going to be bankrupt next year.

#5 Admin EP

EP

Elder of Zebes

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 8,365 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:30 PM

Oh, speaking of weird stupid opinions, I still hear people talk about the PS4 controller being stupid because it has a "large, bright, very distracting light on the top of it".  

It's super weird to complain about, especially since while you hold the controller you don't really see any of the light.  Maybe if you are sitting in front of your friend while he plays the game and staring at his hands, yeah, there could be a problem, but turning around to face the TV screen would actually solve that problem.  

It's not just stupid Sony fanboys, it's any fanboy.  It's one thing to get excited, but the systems are months away from launch and people are already calling who's won this generation and which company is going to be bankrupt next year.

I did see a video where the light was causing glare on a TV which would suck.

4.5 seems like way more than enough. I don't think people understand that more RAM doesn't make anything faster, and you reach a cap on how much data you can process in a given frame. Really more RAM is something developers care about because it let's them not have to think about how they are using memory.

#6 Blackskullgreymon

Blackskullgreymon

Level 11

• ... with envy
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:24 PM

I did see a video where the light was causing glare on a TV which would suck.

Ouch, I never heard that argument.  

That's actually now a legitimate complaint.

#7 Jonny The Pie King

Jonny The Pie King

100000th Post (*confetti flies*)

• Kriken
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

3.5GB?  Jesus christ that's a lot.  Doesn't Windows 7 use like 1.5GBs (including drivers and such)?  That that's a desktop OS.  Streaming everything must be memory expensive...and my god if that OS lags I don't even know what to say.

Shit better be extremely snappy lol.  That was a problem with Android for a long time, but once we got to phone with 2GBs of RAM it's now really snappy (well, unless you have touchwiz running over it.  Lags even on an S4.  HTC's Sense 5 is pretty damn quick though).

#8 Blackskullgreymon

Blackskullgreymon

Level 11

• ... with envy
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

I don't understand any of this technobabble.  Is RAM the one that makes the controller wireless because I think the controllers should be wireless.

#9 Admin EP

EP

Elder of Zebes

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 8,365 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

3.5GB?  Jesus christ that's a lot.  Doesn't Windows 7 use like 1.5GBs (including drivers and such)?  That that's a desktop OS.  Streaming everything must be memory expensive...and my god if that OS lags I don't even know what to say.

Shit better be extremely snappy lol.  That was a problem with Android for a long time, but once we got to phone with 2GBs of RAM it's now really snappy (well, unless you have touchwiz running over it.  Lags even on an S4.  HTC's Sense 5 is pretty damn quick though).

The difference is Windows uses as much memory as it wants, on a home console the game actually gets a set amount of memory that it can rely on not being touched. That means they just have to stay with 5.5GB of memory being used to not swap out to disk. Streaming is definitely not memory expensive, it's just that Sony want's to make sure they have enough memory to do whatever they want down the road.

#10 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:07 PM

Update from Sony themselves:

We would like to clear up a misunderstanding regarding our "direct" and "flexible" memory systems. The article states that "flexible" memory is borrowed from the OS, and must be returned when requested - that's not actually the case.

The actual true distinction is that:
"Direct Memory" is memory allocated under the traditional video game model, so the game controls all aspects of its allocation
"Flexible Memory" is memory managed by the PS4 OS on the game's behalf, and allows games to use some very nice FreeBSD virtual memory functionality. However this memory is 100 per cent the game's memory, and is never used by the OS, and as it is the game's memory it should be easy for every developer to use it.

We have no comment to make on the amount of memory reserved by the system or what it is used for.

Here's the article from Digital Foundry that gets into the details: http://www.eurogamer...software-memory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users