• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:52 PM

No, Microsoft hasn't announced another 180, nor have there been any recent leaks or rumors on the matter. This is purely a theory of mine, so take from it what you may.

When the Xbox One was first announced it was revealed that not only would every Xbox One be bundled with a Kinect sensor, it would actually be required to be hooked up for console to function. The reasoning was that it was so deeply ingrained with the platform that the X1 couldn't work properly without it. However it was recently revealed that this is no longer the case: the console itself will function without a Kinect sensor, however all relevant features would naturally be inaccessible. This reversal led to many people assuming that this could mean we'll eventually see a Kinect-free bundle. Initially I disagreed with this. The entire reason the Kinect came bundled was because Microsoft wanted to be able to promise developers that every Xbox One would have a Kinect plugged into it, thus increasing incentive to support it. However a recent bit of news that was largely over-looked here was that Microsoft will no longer be launching in 21 countries this year, but rather 13. 8 European markets have been cut and won't see the console until sometime in 2014.

Why is this important? Well, if Microsoft wanted to launch with a cheaper, Kinect-free bundle along-side their already announced bundle, they'd have a tough time. Consoles are already being manufactured and boxed, to be ready for launch. Pre-orders have already been made and for most, if not all stores the quotas have been met. Retailers already have at least a rough idea of how many consoles they'll be receiving in three months' time. To offer a second bundle would be a logistical nightmare. They'd have to deal with tons of people trying to change their pre-order and an increased demand for the console given the lower entry price.... Unless they suddenly had hundreds of thousands of consoles to spare, to act as a buffer during this period. And a relatively last minute delay in several regions would be a perfect way to obtain said buffer.

These two bits of news - the Kinect no longer being required and delays for 8 countries - came just two days apart. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but we've seen so many reversals from Microsoft lately and I can't help but think these two bits of news are somehow related. I'm probably just looking too far into things, but at this point anything is possible. I guess we'll see soon though: a change of this magnitude would have to be announced quickly to give retailers and consumers time.

#2 Blackskullgreymon

Blackskullgreymon

Level 11

• ... with envy
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:47 AM

I can totally jive with this vibe you're layin' down, daddy-o.  It just seems like that is Microsoft's frame of mind right now.  Pre-E3 they were all about planning their next 3 moves ahead of the game, making a plan, and committing to it.  Now, they have adopted some kind of weirdly fluid flexibility on a week-to-week basis.  

I actually heard some pretty serious-sounding rumors that we might even see a price drop before launch when they do a big "We're Sorry" campaign press conference to explain in detail the lay of the land.  Despite everything we know about the Xbox One, we're still being kept in the dark on some vague things no one talks about.  If they keep the Kinect bundled in for a long time, I can see how they would want to leverage that, but if they do offer a DisKinected experience, it won't surprise me, just the same.

#3 gamerman99 GameBoy

gamerman99

Chozo Myth Keeper

• GameBoy GameBoy
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:22 PM

For the record, the brand-spankin new XBONE promo is up now at Target. It mentions the $499 price, shows the XBONE Console, Kinect 2.0, and XBONE Controller; it also says "Coming this November."

While I don't think the disKINECTedTM bundle will be out this year, it is on the horizon. I just truly do not see M$ going back to the drawing board about re-mass-marketing EVERYTHING that they had planned. With that said, I also didn't foresee them going back on their 'oh so confidently-sure' attitude of 'how great' the XBONE announced just before E3 would be.

I could see a Kinect-free version being released for $429.99. M$ won't undercut Sony because they're too much of tight asses, end of story.

#4 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:35 PM

Too much of tight asses? No way man. They spent billions marketing Zune, Bing, and Surface despite the odds of them ever catching on. The 360 was only around $100 less expensive to manufacture at launch than the PS3 was, but they sold it for an entire $200 cheaper. Microsoft has plenty of money to throw around and if they do decide to release Kinect-free bundle I guarantee it won't be for any more than $399.99. They know the importance of a good price point and they've never been afraid to eat any necessary costs (especially when the rest of their business is still very profitable, which is more than Sony has to say).

As for advertising, honestly I don't think they would have any problems. Even if they do release a Kinect-free bundle at launch, I fully expect them to focus on the Kinect in advertisements. They'll just throw a "Starting at $399.99" splash at the end of their ads with the small print stating "Kinect not included in Xbox One Basic Bundle" or something like that. It's the exact same thing they did with Surface RT: they advertised the crap out of the screen cover/keyboard, but it comes separately so they could technically undercut Apple on advertised price. I don't see why they couldn't pull the same trick again.

#5 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:43 PM

My thoughts on Natal 2 getting removed from Xbone's box? Not gonna happen. The entire reason they're shipping every Xbox One with a Kinect is because they want developers to know that everyone will have one. That way wide-spread support is guaranteed beyond the occasional dance game. The Kinect is a core part of the console, just like the GamePad is to the Wii U, and is the one thing from their original vision that I can't see Microsoft giving up.

#6 Admin EP

EP

Elder of Zebes

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 8,365 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:28 AM

My thoughts on Natal 2 getting removed from Xbone's box? Not gonna happen. The entire reason they're shipping every Xbox One with a Kinect is because they want developers to know that everyone will have one. That way wide-spread support is guaranteed beyond the occasional dance game. The Kinect is a core part of the console, just like the GamePad is to the Wii U, and is the one thing from their original vision that I can't see Microsoft giving up.

Yeah, but they had the same motivation with always online support and they dropped that when they saw it threatening their bottom line. Not to mention they already took back having to have it connected at all times, which makes it susceptible to being shelved (and enables MS to even consider such a move as not packing it in). I think it's very possible they will sell a Kinectless version - it doesn't make sense to lose market share for a peripheral they probably aren't making much money on, unless they are really convinced that if people had Kinects they would buy more Kinect games, or that the Kinect itself being a huge feature that would sell more games. TBH I think the Xbox One is a clear winner over the PS4 except for price point, so I could see MS wanting to take that out of the equation.

#7 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

He was just copy/pasting the reason I initially thought it wouldn't happen.

#8 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

Yeah, but they had the same motivation with always online support and they dropped that when they saw it threatening their bottom line. Not to mention they already took back having to have it connected at all times, which makes it susceptible to being shelved (and enables MS to even consider such a move as not packing it in). I think it's very possible they will sell a Kinectless version - it doesn't make sense to lose market share for a peripheral they probably aren't making much money on, unless they are really convinced that if people had Kinects they would buy more Kinect games, or that the Kinect itself being a huge feature that would sell more games. TBH I think the Xbox One is a clear winner over the PS4 except for price point, so I could see MS wanting to take that out of the equation.

LOL yeah. :D You "literally missed the entire point™," since I was just referencing exactly wat Praim sed about my previous thoughts on a sans-Natal 2 Xbone happening, which is contradictory to what he thinks now. ;P

But Praim has a way of getting me to predict things his way... sometimes... at least on 2 notable occasions anyway. :P The first of which was his theory that Retro Studios was working on F-Zero since they were previously working on Mario Kart 7 and dipping their feet in the racing scene before designing their own racer from the ground up. With the news of Natal 2 no longer requiring a permanent connection to Xbone, I figured asstons of people would rather bypass the piece of shit and cut 100 bucks from the shitty asking price, thus making Xbone much more desirable, as well as affordable. But after seeing your explanation about why M$ wouldn't go that route, I bought into your reasoning for a second time. YOU CAN'T CONVINCE ME THAT I WAS RIGHT TO BEGIN WITH, YOU CANT WIN 2 TIEMZ IN A ROW EVEN THO I WOULD HAVE WINNED ONE TIME IN THE PAST BEFORE. :V

Hehh, then again, your F-Zero theory was.... right on the money......... NAHT. :P

borat_not.jpg

Edited by Plant42, 21 August 2013 - 01:15 PM.

#9 Admin EP

EP

Elder of Zebes

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 8,365 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:13 PM

LOL yeah. :D You "literally missed the entire point™," since I was just referencing exactly wat Praim sed about my previous thoughts on a sans-Natal 2 Xbone happening, which is contradictory to what he thinks now. ;P

But Praim has a way of getting me to predict things his way... sometimes... at least on 2 notable occasions anyway. :P The first of which was his theory that Retro Studios was working on F-Zero since they were previously working on Mario Kart 7 and dipping their feet in the racing scene before designing their own racer from the ground up. With the news of Natal 2 no longer requiring a permanent connection to Xbone, I figured asstons of people would rather bypass the piece of shit and cut 100 bucks from the shitty asking price, thus making Xbone much more desirable, as well as affordable. But after seeing your explanation about why M$ wouldn't go that route, I bought into your reasoning for a second time. YOU CAN'T CONVINCE ME THAT I WAS RIGHT TO BEGIN WITH, YOU CANT WIN 2 TIEMZ IN A ROW EVEN THO I WOULD HAVE WINNED ONE TIME IN THE PAST BEFORE. :V
Hehh, then again, your F-Zero theory was.... right on the money......... NAHT. :P

borat_not.jpg

Oh, haha. Well, that was back when they had an ideal, but they kindof fucked up a lot of stuff since then and try to cut and run, so changing your thoughts on the subject is the only rational thing.

#10 gamerman99 GameBoy

gamerman99

Chozo Myth Keeper

• GameBoy GameBoy
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:52 PM

Microsoft ends the rumors: One will never be sold without Kinect 2.0

http://www.ign.com/a...-without-kinect

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users