Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

New Console: PlayStation Vita TV (+ Vita Slim)

PlayStation Vita Sony Vita TV

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#11 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

I'm not even shitting you, I was at school when I made my post, but I was going to make that very image when I got home.

#12 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:50 AM

son8zl.png

So it ONLY plays games on a TV, and it HAS to be streaming to/from your PS4? That's fuckin gay. Just move your PS4 to your room and save yourself $100. You can't play 2 games at once, can you? If so then maybe it would be olay, but I doubtt that's the case.

#13 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

Well, it also plays Vita game cards and digital downloads of PSP/Vita/PS1/PS2 games as well. Basically it does everything the Vita does (the Vita also supports PS3/PS4 streaming), it just requires a TV and a controller and is much cheaper.

But yeah, I agree that as a whole I don't see it being worthwhile for many people. Sure, it plays Netflix, Hulu, etc., but at this point you likely have at least one device that does that already, especially if you're a gamer. Yeah, you can play PS4 on other TVs, but you could just move the console. Yeah, it plays Vita games at half the price of the Vita itself, but at the cost of any kind of portability which kind of defeats the purpose of a handheld console. In all there's two ways to look at it: 1) a budget media center, but everyone and their mom has like 5 media centers already, or 2) basically a budget PS3, when the PS3 is about to become a budget PS4...

#14 Blackskullgreymon

Blackskullgreymon

Level 11

• ... with envy
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

But the PS4 doesn't play Vita games.

Also, if I spent $400 on a game console I wouldn't want to be moving it up and down stairs every day, you know?

Also, puppies are cute.  <3

Edited by Blackskullgreymon, 09 September 2013 - 12:14 PM.

#15 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:13 PM

But the PS4 doesn't play Vita games.

Also, if I spent $400 on a game console I wouldn't want to be moving it up and down stairs every day, you know?

I dunno, how many people need to move their consoles up and down stairs every day anyway? I mean, you can always find someone who will appreciate some feature, but how often is that group even worth catering to?

Honestly I feel it would have made a lot more sense to let you finally do HDMI out on the Vita. I just don't see enough people wanting a Vita TV to really make any difference in the market. Seems more important to focus on what you have and to make that more appealing instead of fragmenting the market with multiple versions with less overall appeal.

#16 Blackskullgreymon

Blackskullgreymon

Level 11

• ... with envy
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

Oh, it's totally not for everyone.  The Vita TV is like the 2DS in a lot of ways.  It's just not for anyone on this site.  

#17 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:19 PM

Oh, it's totally not for everyone.  The Vita TV is like the 2DS in a lot of ways.  It's just not for anyone on this site.

That's the thing though: the 2DS at least has a clear and powerful market in the form of little kids and confused moms (not to mention the fact that it's a derivate of an already hugely successful console). With the Vita TV, the ideal market(s) just seem(s) so specific and marginal. There's only so many people who want a TV-only handheld console, are willing to spend more money not to drag their $400 console to another room, and/or are a gamer that somehow needs a media player.

#18 Blackskullgreymon

Blackskullgreymon

Level 11

• ... with envy
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:41 PM

Maybe.

I know my buddy who's PS3 is broken wants this because he wants a Vita but doesn't wanna spend full price on the system.  

Buying this just because you also have a PS4 is stupid, but a lot of folks are on the fence on the Vita and this might help push them over.  Not because of the added utility or limited utility, but the price alone.  

#19 Tetra_Lord

Tetra_Lord

Level 1

• Zoomer
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:52 PM

I've had some interest in the Vita with 3DS games, while being good, failing to really pull me in. I don't want to go through the costs of getting the Vita and dealing with the memory card situation. Unless I'm missing something, does the Vita TV not require the memory cards and instead saves to the device?

#20 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:17 PM

I've had some interest in the Vita with 3DS games, while being good, failing to really pull me in. I don't want to go through the costs of getting the Vita and dealing with the memory card situation. Unless I'm missing something, does the Vita TV not require the memory cards and instead saves to the device?

Yeah, it still needs a memory card, which are still grotesquely over-priced. You can get a bundle with an 8GB card and a DualShock 3 (not included with the base model) for about $150 though. 8GB isn't exactly future proof though, so if want a higher capacity card you're looking at $200 to $250 for this device, so it's definitely not as cheap as it seems.

And I'm curious now: does this thing really not support the (vastly superior) DualShock 4? Because if not that's really bizarre.

Edit: IGN says it supports DS4, but PS4 Remote Play/DS4 support will come from an undated software update down the line...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users