Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

New Console: PlayStation Vita TV (+ Vita Slim)

PlayStation Vita Sony Vita TV

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Admin EP

EP

Elder of Zebes

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 8,365 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:09 PM

I disagree - I see the market potential for this and thinks it has a chance. Everyone was all over the Ouya and then 6 or so Android based consoles started coming out, but this basically hits the same exact price range but gives you such a better product. 100 dollar for a video game console for the holidays seems like a really nice niche for fill when everything else is 300-500.

I'm kindof interested, but not a ton. If the Vita's library was more inline with the type of games I like to play I think I would rather get a Vita just because it's a really sexy console (at least with the LED screen). The one thing that draws me to this is that it's cheap and might give me access to a few PSP/V exclusives down the line.

#22 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:48 PM

Only the Ouya ended up performing so-so at best and 70% of the people who own one have yet to buy anything... Plus, many Ouya owners bought into it for homebrew/garage development and emulation more than anything else.

Also, to say it's $100 is fairly misleading. Every console arguably has its hidden costs, sure, but considering $100 doesn't get you controller or memory card it's especially true here. If you don't already have a PS3 controller then you're already looking at the $150 bundle, and odds are the paltry 8GB pack-in memory card won't last you very long. And if you do already have a PS3 controller then you likely have a PS3, and well... Yeah.

#23 Blackskullgreymon

Blackskullgreymon

Level 11

• ... with envy
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:39 PM

Well, there are a lot of good download-only games, but this thing does run on cartridges, too.  The 8 GB bundle might last long enough.

#24 Sumodude

Sumodude

Level 3

• Diamont
  • 1,269 posts
  • Nintendo ID:Sumodude
  • 3DS Code:0619-3946-6498

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:33 AM

The weird thing is this did kinda interest me. Not in a, "OMG GOTTA HAVE" sort of way, but I did see the appeal. If I wanted to play a Vita game, of which there are a couple that I find interesting, but I didn't want to buy a whole friggin' Vita... I now have this cheaper option. It also plays some legacy PS games and streams Netflix/Hulu. Because, you know, I totally need more ways to do that. But hey, it's nice.

However, I think the biggest audience that this device/console will find are existing Playstation fans that love their PS3s, know they're gonna love a PS4, and want to play even more Sony-exclusives but maybe just don't love handheld consoles in general...

#25 Blackskullgreymon

Blackskullgreymon

Level 11

• ... with envy
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:07 AM

Another friend of mine just reminded me that he always said, "Yeah, I want a Vita, but let me plug it into the TV and I'll buy it."

Anyways, reports are in that Amazon Japan is sold out of preorders.  Maybe it was made for a Japanese audience we don't fully know too well.  

Edited by Blackskullgreymon, 10 September 2013 - 09:01 AM.

#26 Admin EP

EP

Elder of Zebes

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 8,365 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:04 PM

Only the Ouya ended up performing so-so at best and 70% of the people who own one have yet to buy anything... Plus, many Ouya owners bought into it for homebrew/garage development and emulation more than anything else.

Also, to say it's $100 is fairly misleading. Every console arguably has its hidden costs, sure, but considering $100 doesn't get you controller or memory card it's especially true here. If you don't already have a PS3 controller then you're already looking at the $150 bundle, and odds are the paltry 8GB pack-in memory card won't last you very long. And if you do already have a PS3 controller then you likely have a PS3, and well... Yeah.

Yeah, but that is because the Ouya has no gaems, unlike the Vita. And I'm just saying there appears to be a niche for a cheaper console. I didn't realize that it didn't come with a controller though - still it isn't horrible.

#27 Blackskullgreymon

Blackskullgreymon

Level 11

• ... with envy
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:37 PM

I have a feeling that most Vita fans willing to get one of these possibly already have a PS3 controller in the house, though.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users