6 replies to this topic

#1 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

logo.png

So, it's finally revealed. After all of those patented names, many of which began with the letter "Z," Namco officially announced Tales of Zestiria. Though it was just announced today, they've already confirmed a US/Europe release of this game, due to the Tales Of franchise enjoying a "resurgence of popularity among RPG gamers throughout Western territories in recent years!"

I'm actually.... pretty disappointed in all of this. :( I'll still make sure to get this game when it launches, but for the most part this game seems to rub me the wrong way.

>>I don't like the name, though I expected it'd be a ToZ title. The "Z" seems so forced, being used just for the sake of having a Z, another unusual letter..

>>I don't like the fact that there are 4 different character designers. Previous games have had at least both Inomata and Fujishima's work together, and it just makes the designs seem inconsistent. Personally I prefer Fujishima to do all of the character designs, however...

>>...I find the main character's design to be one massive eyesore. Alicia looks kinda meh, but she's not a buzz-kill like the protagonist. I was surprised to read that Fujishima was the one responsible for the main character...

>>...who, btw, also has a terrible name. Seriously? "Surei," as in... "Slay"?? His name is a verb, which means to kill stuff--something that he'll do thousands of times throughout his quest? That's almost as bad as "Refill" (Raine, as we know her from Symphonia) which thankfully was changed in translation. I hope it's not "Thray" either, because that too would be an awkward non-name chosen for the sole sake of being unusual. Perhaps his name is "Sleigh?" Oh gawd, lol.

>>I'm also am disappointed to hear the battle system being compared to Graces. I just got a PS3 last week and I've been playing Graces for the first time. The biggest issue I have with the game is its battle system. I honestly don't like it. It feels so restrictive (having to wait to attack, you can't jump, among other things). The fighting is very fast-paced when you're actually attacking, but the overall "pace" of battles is like driving in stop-and-go traffic. From what little is shown of Zestiria's battles, it looks a lot like Graces, and that has me worried.

>>The dragon... I generally don't like dragons. I don't mind killing dragon enemies, but I don't care for stories that revolve around them, and from the look of the logo, that's exactly what appears to be the case.

--------------------

>>I am, however, pleased that Ufotable is involved.

>>I'm also okay with the world being one big field, so long as I can fly around it, too, kinda like an open world. I haven't played Xillia yet (waiting to beat Graces first), but I thought that game lacked a traditional overworld, much like Graces. However, this game appears to have a super-vast field for an overworld, similar to Xenoblade Chronicles. Xenoblade's field felt a little too empty or arbitrarily large at times, so if Zestiria's world is that big, I'd hope to have a vehicle with which I could travel more quickly--maybe something like Symphonia's land and sky combo of Noishe and Rheairds.

More pics and shit can be found here: http://abyssalchroni...ents&fn_id=1186

Edited by Plant42, 21 December 2013 - 03:33 PM.

#2 Sumodude

Sumodude

Level 3

• Diamont
  • 1,269 posts
  • Nintendo ID:Sumodude
  • 3DS Code:0619-3946-6498

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:00 AM

Tell me Plant, how would one such as myself get into a Tales of game? Which game should I play first in the series? The only JRPGs I've played in any significant amount are the Mother series, FFVIII and the Chrono games. Oh, and Pokemon, if that counts.

Vesperia looked most interesting to me, but I don't have a 360. Symphonia is a bit hard to find/expensive. I am hoping to get a PS3 in the not-too-distant future, but ToS: Chronicles does not look like a very impressive remake... Anyway... Should I keep searching for a copy of ToS? Should I find a 360 to borrow for Vesperia? Or should I wait until I have a PS3 to play some of those other ones...

#3 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:28 PM

Tell me Plant, how would one such as myself get into a Tales of game? Which game should I play first in the series? The only JRPGs I've played in any significant amount are the Mother series, FFVIII and the Chrono games. Oh, and Pokemon, if that counts.

Vesperia looked most interesting to me, but I don't have a 360. Symphonia is a bit hard to find/expensive. I am hoping to get a PS3 in the not-too-distant future, but ToS: Chronicles does not look like a very impressive remake... Anyway... Should I keep searching for a copy of ToS? Should I find a 360 to borrow for Vesperia? Or should I wait until I have a PS3 to play some of those other ones...

Of course you know Tales is my favorite franchise and I'd recommend everyone giving it a try, but some titles are better than others. If you're looking to get into Tales, there really isn't one place in particular that you should begin, aside from the most easily accessible one.

I didn't know Symphonia was so expensive, though I could see how it would since it's long been out of print. If you're seriously getting a PS3, I'd say Symphonia Chronicles will be an excellent place to start. Yes, it is a remake with minimal effort into updating the graphics, but it is a remake nonetheless, which contains a bunch of content that was previously exclusive to the Japan PS2 version. It will be outputted in HD, and for the first time ever, in widescreen.

While Symphonia is my favorite Tales game, having my favorite characters and story among other things, it's not the best from a gameplay standpoint. Vesperia is the crown jewel of Tales games from a technical standpoint. It has the best battle system and controls, and the 2nd best story (IMO). However, while Vesperia singlehandedly drove my decision to purchase a 360, I find it hard to recommend anyone to purchase a whole new console just for Vesperia--or any other single game, for that matter. If you buy a PS3 and end up loving Vesperia, you'll be able to continue your Tales hunt with Graces, Xillia, Xillia 2, Symphonia Chronicles (which also contains the spinoff-sequel Dawn of the New World), and eventually Zestiria. I expect Vesperia to trump any single one of those games, but it's hard to choose 1 Tales game over 5 (technically 6) others.

However, if you're looking for the most accessible Tales game to you right now, it's none other than Tales of the Abyss. Tales of the Abyss is my 3rd-favorite game in the series. Symphonia pioneered Tales in a 3D world, and Abyss took the great Symphonia battle system and introduced a fantastic new Free Run feature that grants you a freedom that Symphonia painfully lacked.  You can buy Tales of the Abyss for 3DS at a good price, and it's still in print (at least I've still seen it in stores recently). It was originally a PS2 game in 4:3, and the 3DS not only added stereoscopic 3D, but it brought the game into widescreen as well, showing you more of the environment than before. The only disappointment in the 3DS version is that for some peculiar reason, the audio in all of the anime cutscenes is extremely quiet. Without headphones or a quiet environment you will not hear or understand what is being spoken. Also, due to the 3DS screen's tiny size, you may have trouble seeing tiny things on screen at a couple of specific points in the game (one is an optional location). Nonetheless, Tales of the Abyss is another wonderful Tales game, and it is the #1 favorite of many fans. It's not my personal #1, but I do say that Tales of the Abyss is the best when it comes to character development. There are a lot of characters, and you're gonna feel for all of them--good guys and bad guys alike.

So yeah, for you I'd recommend Tales of the Abyss. If you come across a 360 you should give Vesperia a shot, and Symphonia Chronicles if you get a PS3. Symphonia, Abyss, and Vesperia are all done by Team Symphonia, who created the best battle system. Battles feel like Smash Bros in a way. You don't jump around like in Smash, but you have standard A-attacks, and you have special B-attacks, which are mapped to (equivalents of) B, Up-B, Down-B, and Side-B. (Tales of Graces shits all over that, and that's why I'm disliking the battle system)

Edited by Plant42, 16 December 2013 - 11:50 AM.

#4 Sumodude

Sumodude

Level 3

• Diamont
  • 1,269 posts
  • Nintendo ID:Sumodude
  • 3DS Code:0619-3946-6498

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:19 AM

Cool cool. I forgot about Tales of the Abyss. I'll probably start with that, then.

Thank you Plant! :3

#5 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:55 PM

Cool cool. I forgot about Tales of the Abyss. I'll probably start with that, then.

Thank you Plant! :3

No problem! :D

If/when you get it, you can post your impressions in the Abyss thread. http://forums.chozos...s-of-the-abyss/

I put some helpful information in the OP. To get the most out of the battles, you'll wanna check out the Field of Fonons guide/list that I gathered. Those are what make the battle system from Tales of the Abyss stand apart from every other in the series.

#6 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:36 PM

I edited the OP with the direct feed video of Zestiria's debut trailer. The first one was recorded off-screen and looked really bad, and naturally the visuals look a hell of a lot better now. Some of the detail is even a bit impressive. I'm a little more hyped for this game now, but I'm still not looking forward to the battle system if it indeed follows in Graces's footsteps.

Edited by Plant42, 21 December 2013 - 03:37 PM.

#7 CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

has no sense of humor

• Chozo Chancellor
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:23 PM

I edited the OP with the direct feed video of Zestiria's debut trailer. The first one was recorded off-screen and looked really bad, and naturally the visuals look a hell of a lot better now. Some of the detail is even a bit impressive. I'm a little more hyped for this game now, but I'm still not looking forward to the battle system if it indeed follows in Graces's footsteps.

Would you say that it's a

FALL FROM GRACE

:3c

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tales of

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users