19 replies to this topic

#1 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:30 AM

Ok, so I know at least a couple people here are interested in Borderlands. :P

Announced a couple days ago and officially unveiled today, the next Borderlands has been revealed to not be Borderlands 3, but a "midquel", taking place between the two previous games. The name itself reflects this, with the appropriately oddball subtitle "The Pre-Sequel". Furthermore, in addition to not being a true sequel, the game will also be releasing on last-generation consoles rather than the Xbox One and PS4 and will use an updated version of the Borderlands 2 engine (which in turn a heavily modified version of Unreal 3). It will also not be developed by Gearbox, but rather 2K Australia. Now all together some people might be worried, but despite this all Gearbox and 2K assure this will be a full, brand new Borderlands title (promised to be as longer than the first game), and so far early previews back this up.

Immediately setting this game apart from the previous titles is the fact that the game features four completely new classes that are not alterations of the existing core classes. Not only that, but these characters won't be Vault Hunters. Instead you'll be playing as one of four high ranking soldiers of Handsome Jack himself:

Athena (previously featured in The Secret Armory of General Knoxx) who utilizes a damage absorbing and dispersing, Captain America-style shield.
Wilhelm, whose skill trees slowly alter him into the giant mech seen in Borderlands 2.
Nisha the Lawbringer, before she became the Sheriff of Lynchwood.
And perhaps most excitingly, CL4P-TP (aka Claptrap) himself.

Another major stand-out? We'll finally be going to the Hyperion Moon Base, which is revealed to have been accidentally crashed into moon by Jack. This will have all sorts of effects on gameplay, including new mechanics surrounding O2, a new manageable resource. Rather than constantly needing to be collected in order to breath though, O2 will be used to power new abilities, such as double jumps and ground pounds. Special gear can also be collected to alter how O2 is used, such as adding elemental effects to ground pounds. And on the topic of dealing damage, The Pre-Sequel will feature even more guns than Borderlands 2, along with weapon classes such as laser weapons and new elemental effect in the form of cryo.

As stated above, Jack will be a big part of this game, with the story closely following his transition from lowly Hyperion employee to the maniacal villain we know and love. As part of this, we'll see a lot more of why Jack is the way he is, and even learn just why Jack feels he's the true hero of the story.

Borederlands: The Pre-Sequel will be releasing this fall.

http://www.ign.com/a...-the-pre-sequel

#2 CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

has no sense of humor

• Chozo Chancellor
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:24 AM

I want to want this game, but I'm still pissed at Gearbox and anything they are associated with from Aliens: Colonial Marines.

NEVER FORGET >:[

#3 Sumodude

Sumodude

Level 3

• Diamont
  • 1,269 posts
  • Nintendo ID:Sumodude
  • 3DS Code:0619-3946-6498

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:04 AM

I thought about making a thread, but then I figured someone who was more of a Borderlands fan than me would make one. Sorry Prime. I know you'd prefer more topic-creator diversity around here.  ^_^

I'm very interested, though. Playing as villains + Claptrap sounds pretty awesome.

I want to want this game, but I'm still pissed at Gearbox and anything they are associated with from Aliens: Colonial Marines.

While I doubt Gearbox would or could seriously eff up their most profitable IP, I am definitely concerned for Homeworld's sake. I'm hopeful that Homeworld will be awesome, but kinda wish that a different company, one with actual strategy game experience, would have picked up that franchise...

Edited by Sumodude, 10 April 2014 - 08:11 AM.

#4 CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

has no sense of humor

• Chozo Chancellor
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:20 AM

While I doubt Gearbox would or could seriously eff up their most profitable IP, I am definitely concerned for Homeworld's sake. I'm hopeful that Homeworld will be awesome, but kinda wish that a different company, one with actual strategy game experience, would have picked up that franchise...

I've a feeling this game will be good, presequel and all, but I still don't want to support an IP whose owner lies to fans and shows fake footage of a game.

So they can all go fuck themselves.

#5 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:13 PM

Dammit Sumo, you're this close to becoming my servant for that. :3

And Conker, as far as not wanting to support them because of Colonial Marines, I guess I get that, but don't forget this game isn't being developed by Gearbox. It's being developed by 2K Marin/Australia (not really sure which one is the proper name as I'm seeing conflicting info), who previously worked on BioShock 1 and 2.

#6 CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

has no sense of humor

• Chozo Chancellor
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:49 PM

Dammit Sumo, you're this close to becoming my servant for that. :3

And Conker, as far as not wanting to support them because of Colonial Marines, I guess I get that, but don't forget this game isn't being developed by Gearbox. It's being developed by 2K Marin/Australia (not really sure which one is the proper name as I'm seeing conflicting info), who previously worked on BioShock 1 and 2.

Gearbox owns the property and will be reaping monetary rewards.

#7 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:54 PM

Buuuut you'll also be helping a smaller studio transition from understudy to star developer. :3

#8 CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

has no sense of humor

• Chozo Chancellor
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:13 PM

Buuuut you'll also be helping a smaller studio transition from understudy to star developer. :3

Don't really care. They can't be that small if they helped with Bioshock.

I mean, I'll probably wind up getting the game anyways. Good coop is hard to find and this will have it, but I don't have to be happy about it.

#9 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:29 PM

...who previously worked on BioShock 1 and 2.

Oh fuck. :D Now I'm the one who has a reason to steer clear basedbon tge developer. xD!!!
ThoughnI wouldn't wanna play Bundylands 1.5 without playing at least Bundylands 2, and that one (which looks better) doesn't tickle my piddle stick (as I'm sure you know by now). :P

#10 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:38 PM

Oh fuck. :D Now I'm the one who has a reason to steer clear basedbon tge developer. xD!!!
ThoughnI wouldn't wanna play Bundylands 1.5 without playing at least Bundylands 2, and that one (which looks better) doesn't tickle my piddle stick (as I'm sure you know by now). :P

They didn't actually "make" either game by the way, just aided in the development. BioShock 1 was Irrational Games and BioShock 2 was a collaboration of 5 or so different 2K studios.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users