• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:30 PM

And now for another installment of: Only Prime Cares*!

Today Microsoft officially unveiled Halo 5. Sort of. Again.

Last year at E3 Microsoft showed off a trailer for "Halo for Xbox One" (which Sakurai totally ripped off for Smash Bros. 4's final name), which was followed up with the statement "Your Halo Xbox One journey begins in 2014". While many people assumed this meant Halo 5 was coming this year, and that trailer was for it, some suspected it all seemed a little too carefully phrased, which numerous rumors seemingly confirmed. Microsoft later revealed that trailer was not necessarily a trailer for "Halo 5", but the future of Halo in general, and today it was also confirmed that Halo 5 is not the beginning of the "Halo Xbox One journey". Rather the game, now called "Halo 5: Guardians" will be launching fall 2015, with a proper debut at E3 this year.

First off, here's the promotional artwork/tentative box cover:

Hero_Halo5.jpg
Click for super size

Of obvious interest is the Spartan on top, who is also interestingly, well, on top. All that's been confirmed so far is that it's a brand new character and they are male, both of which shoots down a lot of early fan theories. If you zoom in to the Spartan's chest you can also see the Office of Naval Intelligence insignia, meaning that who ever they are, they're apparently an ONI agent, likely a lone wolf "attack dog" type, like Halo Reach's Noble 6. Odds are they're being sent to track down a now rogue Master Chief (which both the original Xbox One trailer and previews of the upcoming comics hint at) and/or Catherine Halsey, who teamed with the Storm Covenant at the end of Halo 4's Spartan Ops.

As far as gameplay and tech goes, we know the game is going to be locked at 60 FPS and will have dedicated servers, both firsts for the Halo series. They will also be using an entirely new engine built specifically for this game, rather than a new revision of the Halo engine. 343i is also talking about pushing not only the series, but the genre itself in new directions, pointing out the influence that Halo CE and Halo 2 each had in their own times.

New artwork
343i release

*some people other than Prime may care.

#2 CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

has no sense of humor

• Chozo Chancellor
  • 6,859 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:39 AM

Dedicated servers isn't a first for Halo; it's just a first for CONSOLE Halo. Halo 1 had em on PC.

That being said, I'm pretty excited for this. I love me some Halo. I play Halo every weekend and am still shit at it, but I love me some Halo.

343 proved they could take this franchise and do new things with it, so I'm all for them continuing that. Bring on new characters, new threats, and do something new with Chief. They'll execute it well.

It'll be when Halo 5 shows up that I get an X1

#3 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:44 AM

All this Catherine Halsey ONI Agent Attack Dog Naval Intelligence Lone Wolf Noble 6 Storm Covenant Spartan shit is Greek to me.

That last part was a pun. Laugh, bitches.

#4 Blackskullgreymon

Blackskullgreymon

Level 11

• ... with envy
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:35 AM

When I saw that new suit, my first thought was "Glad I went with the PS4!"  My second thought was "Is this going to be playing as the Arbiter again?"  My third thought was, "I hope it comes to PC or something, I wanna know what happens."

#5 Sage AtownKED

AtownKED

Level 4

• Sage Sage
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:50 PM

At least now I know when I can get my Xbox One.

#6 gamerman99 GameBoy

gamerman99

Chozo Myth Keeper

• GameBoy GameBoy
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:03 PM

Agreed. Xbone for the regular price without the bullshit natal2.0 attached to it and this will likely warrant my purchase of the console, though ... After the launch of the game and its on sale 20 bucks cheaper :P

#7 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:12 PM

All this Catherine Halsey ONI Agent Attack Dog Naval Intelligence Lone Wolf Noble 6 Storm Covenant Spartan shit is Greek to me.
That last part was a pun. Laugh, bitches.

no i wont laugh i win

I know you don't care for explanations at all, but here they are anyway. :3 ONI is the Office of Naval Intelligence, i.e. Halo's CIA; Halsey created the Spartans and Cortana and was declared a war criminal for how she went about it; Noble 6 is the player character from Reach, who was previously a solo-operative that worked as a "personal grim reaper" for a high-ranking military officer; and the Covenant are the co-main villains of the original Halo Trilogy, with the Storm being a splinter group who refused to accept peace with humanity after Halo 3's events.

At least now I know when I can get my Xbox One.

lol, that would have been me, but with the rumors of the Master Chief Collection (and Destiny's release) I'm definitely getting one around November or so.

#8 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:14 AM

Lol, actually that's exactly what I wanted: a supe brief explanation of all that greek shit. :3 Yeah'd.

Anyway, I heard that one of the 343i dudes was butthurt over the leak (I thought it was an intentional reveal...), saying that it shits on all the ovetime hours that ppl on the team put together and all the sacrfices their wives and crying kids at home have to deal with, making the project less gud. It's just a name though. Well, a name and a reveal for the Dead Space guy being a new playable character. I hardly think it hurts.

Edited by Plant42, 22 May 2014 - 04:16 AM.

#9 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:41 AM

Lol, actually that's exactly what I wanted: a supe brief explanation of all that greek shit. :3 Yeah'd.

Anyway, I heard that one of the 343i dudes was butthurt over the leak (I thought it was an intentional reveal...), saying that it shits on all the ovetime hours that ppl on the team put together and all the sacrfices their wives and crying kids at home have to deal with, making the project less gud. It's just a name though. Well, a name and a reveal for the Dead Space guy being a new playable character. I hardly think it hurts.

Actually, so far it hasn't been confirmed if "Dead Space guy" (lol) is playable, but it's possible. They did it in Halo 2 (have two protagonists), but a lot of (stupid) people bitched about it (hence why they dropped it in Halo 3, though ODST had playable 5 characters).

But yeah, I think Frankie was over-reacting a bit, but at the same time I at least understand it. I would be upset too if I were working on something and didn't get to reveal it on my own terms, even if it was basically a given (btw though, I do think he was also indirectly addressing the Master Chief Collection leak there too). But yeah, you're right, this isn't going to hurt the game at all. It's Halo, it'll do fine methinks. :P

#10 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:12 AM

Looks like Agent Locke (the other dude from the box) will indeed be playable in the campaign. Locke, who is the primary protagonist for Halo: Nightfall, will be played by Mike Colter in both Halo 5 (voice, mocap, and likeness) and Nightfall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users