• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#21 Sage AtownKED

AtownKED

Level 4

• Sage Sage
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:23 AM

Hold up, hold the fucking phone. THE BETA IS OUT??

#22 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 12:47 PM

There's a three day preview for Xbox Preview members. Full beta starts on the 29th.

#23 Sage AtownKED

AtownKED

Level 4

• Sage Sage
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:08 AM

There's a three day preview for Xbox Preview members. Full beta starts on the 29th.

What is Xbox one preview?

#24 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:14 PM

The dashboard update pre-release testing program. If you have an Xbox One I can invite you, but the beta preview is already over.

#25 CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

has no sense of humor

• Chozo Chancellor
  • 6,859 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:53 AM

Played the beta for about an hour last night with me bro, switching up between games. I really, really do not like it. Halo has a feel, and this isn't it.

The biggest problem is the extreme nerf to aim assist. There's a reason console FPS games have that: playing with twin sticks is sluggish and imprecise. To get rid of it only makes me want to go play a PC shooter...or Halo 4.

Likewise, I was on board with the increase in speed and mobility, but when I give it some thought, I'm not so sure. It all goes back to the aim assist and using a controller over a mouse and keyboard. Halo worked well because it slowed things down. To speed it up like every other shooter out there gives it a bland feel while also making it frustrating.

Well, clamor is actually kind of cool. But I miss the loadout system when it comes to infinite sprint. It's just annoying when everyone has it. I liked the fact that, in Halo 4, I had to sacrifice something to have infinite sprint. Giving it to everyone is lame nad a cheap way to make your game feel faster.

Health has been nerfed, or perhaps weapons have been buffed. Either way, deaths happened way too quickly. Once again, that doesn't feel like Halo. Once again, all that makes me want to do is play a PC shooter where that kind of quickness works best.

I hate the intro/outro scenes where it shows teams. It feels like a ripoff of Destiny, and the winning team giving high fives and lookin all badass feels to bro. It's a stupid thing to hate, but I hate it anyways.

Still going to get the game because 343 have proven they can tell a good story and I want to know where this is heading. And maybe big-team will be better once we get a crack at that. I've always preferred that anyways. It's one of the reasons I"ve been so frustrated with MCC. The big team maps just don't work for us. Have to play slayer or bust.

Or Epic can just release another UT game and I"ll be happy for the next five years.

#26 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 09:19 PM

While there's less aim-assist, I really don't think it's as extreme as you make it out to be. Halo's auto-aim has always tended to be on the stronger side (with Halo 3's being nuts), but I don't think the reduction has really hurt anything. If anything, I honestly feel like precision weapons are much more satisfying now than they used to be. Like I said in chat though, I think your problem is really that you need to tweak your look sensitivity. Most players I've come across have had to use different sensitivity settings than they have in past Halo games (must lean higher now, though my best friend oddly feels more at home all the way down at one), but once they've tweaked their settings they've gotten used to it really quickly. My best suggestion would be to add 1 or 2 to your typical sensitivity and then try from there. For example, I've always played Halo at a sensitivity of 3, but now I play at 4 and things feel pretty much the same, particularly while hip-firing or using automatics.

Also like I said in chat, base speed is roughly on par with Halo 3 and 4. You have infinite sprint now which makes things feel faster, but since you can't run and gun or recharge your shields while sprinting (Halo 4 your shields did recharge, so you actually do sacrifice something now - sprinting away from battles is very dangerous), I honestly don't feel like the technical net gain in speed has actually had an effect on time-to-kill or encounters in general. Really, you're just getting into those encounters faster.

#27 CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

has no sense of humor

• Chozo Chancellor
  • 6,859 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 02:27 PM

The thing is, when you play a series of games with a high look sensitivity, you get used to it and aim with it. Cutting it down by a good margin--and it has been cut by a lot--has destroyed everything about aiming I know when it comes to Halo. I can't hit shit anymore, and that's frustrating.

And I've never been a precision weapon user. I've always used the assault rifle.

I appreciate the buffs to my go-to gun, but if I can't hit anything, then it doesn't matter. If I wanted to play a shooter with no aim assist, I'd play on the PC where I have a mouse.

The increase in speed coupled with less aim assist and either buffed weapons or lower health has created something I don't like the feel of and don't find fun. And it has nothing to do with me being bad since I fucking suck at Halo. I always have.

I'm willing to give it some leeway though. I dont' like small team matches. At all. I have the most fun in CTF on huge maps with all kinds of vehicles and places to hide. One of the reasons I"m so pissed at MCC is that big team is still broken (or has been. Maybe i'ltl finally work tonight!). I think Halo 5, with its speed increase, actually could work very well on big team when warthogs and ghosts are thrown in the mix.

But on Slayer, I hate it.

#28 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 02:59 PM

I still don't get how the "speed increase" effects gunplay/general combat? Like I said, you can't run and gun, so that doesn't change anything, and base player speed is still the same. And of course, sprinting just gets you killed if you do it in combat. Sooo... Yeah, still not understanding that. And I've yet to have a problem hitting with the AR/SMG, that's weird. I thought you were talking about precisions, so I don't know what to say.

Anyway, matchmaking got updated today, though I doubt it will make you feel any better. They added two new maps to Slayer, but that's BR starts now. They also added a new gametype called Breakout, which is a low-shields gametype with SMG/Pistol/1 grenade starts, and one-life rounds. It's based on speedball, and the first team to eliminate the other team 5 times wins. So far I really suck lol.

#29 CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

has no sense of humor

• Chozo Chancellor
  • 6,859 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 03:53 PM

Naw man, that shit is based on Counterstrike. And no, I want nothing to do with that game mode at all.

Halo hasn't ever been the fastest FPS game out there, and tha'ts a strong point in its favor because aiming with a controller is slow. Reducing the speed to match and adding aim assists is why it feels good to play a Halo game with dual sticks. It's why I've never bitched about not having a mouse before.

Giving everyone speed and a thruster pack increases the global movement by a lot. It hurts the experience. Or rather, it makes me want a mouse.

I remember trying to play UT:2007 on a console once. It was a nightmare because everyone moved quickly and had double jump. This is kinda like that. Not as extreme but close.

#30 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 04:33 PM

No, it's literally based on speedball. There's even vidoc on it with the 343i guy who thought of it, where they even got the team together to play real-life speedball. And the map designed for the mode is literally a speedball course.

And... I just... I still don't see where the speed-boost comes into gunplay, since, again base speed is the same and sprint is just a "kill me" button in battle... >.< I mean, thrusters give you a once-per-5-seconds dodge, but that generally lengthens encounters... I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here, because we're definitely a couple of skipping records lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users