#81 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:47 PM

MS released the opening cinematic, and it's pretty bad-ass:

Some notes:

There will be a longer, less bombastic prologue before this, a la Halo 4. Odds are the prologue will fill the player in on the events between the two games, and will probably focus on Chief/Blue Team.
This directly cuts into the gameplay of the first mission. Where the Xbox logo pops up in the video, you'll jump straight into the mission.
The cutscene is pre-rendered using in-game assets and in-engine features with additional processing to enhance the quality (so outside of the sheer speed and quantity of objects it's roughly indicative of in-game visuals). Like Halo 4, most cutscenes will be fully in-engine.

#82 Sage AtownKED

AtownKED

Level 4

• Sage Sage
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:02 PM

That was fucking incredible. I can't fucking wait.

#83 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:27 AM

If you're a fan of the novels (honestly not sure if anyone here is) this will legitimately be one of the greatest cutscenes you will ever see. If you're just a fan of the games, it's still fucking awesome:

#84 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:42 PM

GOAT trailer? GOAT trailer.

#85 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:57 PM

Whoa, I just realized, this is Rated T. First non-M-rated real Halo game evar? Is this a measure taken to increase sales? I don't think there are many squeaker 12-yr-olds who were missing out on the previous games due it their M ratings, though realistically there truly are a bunch of kids who don't get to play them because of strict/good parents. :P In general, the closer to an E rating, the better, when it comes to sales. That way "everyone" can play it.

#86 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:33 PM

Nope. ESRB just gave it a T this time, simple as that.

Halo has always been a soft M, so much so that the rating has been constantly questioned over the years, and some Halo games only got M-ratings because of very specific things. Halo CE (and to an extent Halo 2 and 3) got M pretty much exclusively because of the Flood, which the ESRB deemed too "gore-y" at the time, but the Flood has been gone from the shooters since Halo 3. Halo 4 probably got an M exclusively because of this cutscene. And then there's ODST, which made absolutely no sense as an M-rated game. Hell, you've played Reach. Even with it's darker tone and more grounded/realistic visual aesthetic, would you really think "Yeah, this is up there with Resident Evil", or even just CoD? There's no significant swearing, no "suggestive themes", no gore, and you're fighting aliens with neon blood.

So yeah, it's a combination of a shift in ESRB ratings and Halo 5 just not have "that one thing" that was enough to bump it up to M.

#87 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:41 PM

Halo 4 probably got an M exclusively because of this cutscene.

OMG SPOILERS HOLY SHIT!1!

But yeah, from what I've seen, Halo doesn't seem to need an M rating. I don't recall there being much swearing, and there really isn't any gore either. Just a bunch of big alien dudes and ragdolling and a little bit of neon blood. The guns aren't that realistic either. Even CoD is kinda tame. Sure, they have realistic guns and realistic people (though nowadays they look like fucking robots), but there's not much "gore" in the gameplay--not as realistically as they could depict. I wonder if they don't depict a shotgun blast or rifle shot to the head as visually accurately as they could, with the whole "gore" thing on the ESRB label. Maybe it's because they know that 12-year-olds are playing it and they're exercising artistic social responsibility? ...or maybe it's so that parents will be more likely to buy it? I dunno. This is all tangential/unrelated, but you made me think of that and it's something I've wondered for a long time. CoD's multiplayer barely seems worthy of an M rating without more blood and gore (though the story mode may have gory scenes and swearing), so I'd definitely say Halo doesn't quite need the M rating if nothing warrants it in the campaign mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users