Photo

What does Xbox One not requiring Kinect mean to you?

Xbox One Xbox Kinect Microsoft

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Kinect 2.0 - No longer required (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Does no Kinect change anything for you?

1. I'm disappointed, I liked seeing Microsoft stick their guns on something. (3 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

2. It don't really care one way or another. (3 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

3. Totally, $100 less makes me a lot more interested. (4 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

Does no Kinect change anything for the Xbox One in general?

1. Definitely, this will only kill Kinect and make the Xbox One less unique. (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

2. Nah, people will still buy Ones, just the people who would have left their Kinect in the box just won't get one (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. With a lower price and more freedom in purchasing choices the Xbox One will do better than ever. (7 votes [70.00%])

Percentage of vote: 70.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:35 AM

As always, vote and discuss.

#2 CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

has no sense of humor

• Chozo Chancellor
  • 6,859 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:59 PM

This makes me want an X1 more, yet I do think it demotes the X1 into just another box, and one that is running games at a lower resolution than its competitor.

Kinect had potential, and now it has none.

Not much else to say though. I'll get an X1 when Halo 5 is out. Otherwise I have other games to play on my PC

#3 gamerman99 GameBoy

gamerman99

Chozo Myth Keeper

• GameBoy GameBoy
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:27 PM

$100 less makes me substantially more interested, and I believe the Xbox One will sell better. Lower price and no more Kinect will result in more console sales. Simple as that. And, it will be back int he game with those outrageous PS4 sales that have been going on for the same amount of time.

EDIT: I feel bad for the developers for their [possible] wasted time in development for it, but it is what it is. 

Also, I agree with Conker; consideration for my purchase will be stronger the closer Halo 5: Guardians comes.

Edited by gamerman99, 22 May 2014 - 06:28 PM.

#4 torgo

torgo

Grand Poobah of Chozo Shriners

• Kraid
  • 3,414 posts
  • Nintendo ID:TorgoKong
  • 3DS Code:3866-8871-2120

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:47 PM

XBone not made by Nintendo, Torgo not interested one way or the other. Carry on.

That said, I did vote that I'm disappointed, basically on principle. Interesting new technologies that are left as "optional" never go anywhere (except in the really interested homebrew community, as we've seen some quite novel uses of the old Kinect). That's one thing you can say about Nintendo: even when they do a really half-assed (I'd say quarter-assed on the Wii U) job of pushing their new gameplay ideas, at least they don't give up the first time they meet some resistance.

I also voted that it would sell more. Not even because of price but I would imagine they'd have an easier time selling to people who want whatever exclusives there are for XBone, but didn't want the All Seeing All Listening Box on them all the time. Now that it's not required, MS and other publishers will be forced to make everything compatible with systems that don't have it, so there'll be parity. And as alluded to above, that likely means support will dwindle away to nothing everywhere else, except maybe dancing and river-raft-simulation games.

​But I'm still not interested in getting one.

#5 CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

has no sense of humor

• Chozo Chancellor
  • 6,859 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:28 PM

XBone not made by Nintendo, Torgo not interested one way or the other. Carry on.

It's 2014 and none of us are in high school anymore. How is this still a thought anyone on this site has?

#6 torgo

torgo

Grand Poobah of Chozo Shriners

• Kraid
  • 3,414 posts
  • Nintendo ID:TorgoKong
  • 3DS Code:3866-8871-2120

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:18 PM

It's 2014 and none of us are in high school anymore. How is this still a thought anyone on this site has?

I'll assume this isn't rhetorical, and that you actually want a discourse analyzing that sentence.

I'd venture to say that your statement is more inflammatory than mine. I expressed my opinion that I'm interested only in Nintendo properties, and thus not interested in the XBox One. Your statement implies that I'm wrong for having an opinion that differs from yours.

The adolescent fanboyism that you might have taken this for is different in an important way from my Nintendorkism. While the former is based around the insecure premise that for "my" platform/genre/specific game to be the best, all others must suck. I take the stance that I like what I like, I'm really not interested in other things, and everyone else is free to like what they like.

As I've expressed multiple times before, my rare game playing time is now spent on games that I enjoy, and that limits my exposure to other things; it takes me months to get through a game that some people finish in less than a week. For those who plow through games in that shorter time, multi platform is likely the only way to get enough games; not so for me.

Had I been going for the immature fanboyism with my statement, I think it would have needed more swearing and homophobic slurs against anyone who likes anything but Nintendo. Don't mistake my enthusiasm for a single platform as an attack on others.

#7 Blackskullgreymon

Blackskullgreymon

Level 11

• ... with envy
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:26 PM

Only thing making me want an XBox was Halo 5 and all the good Kinect games coming up. 

I'm not willing to put up with Microsoft, given my experience with the 360 has been so bad, so I'm just not even gonna humor them anymore, but that's my money.

Overall, I think having the same pricepoint as the competition is necessary and a good move, so they'll likely be able to regain some ground at E3 and begin their new strategies and catch up without too much of a fuss. 

#8 CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

has no sense of humor

• Chozo Chancellor
  • 6,859 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:17 PM

Snip

That sentence read as blind Nintendo fanboyism no matter your intention. That being said:

I'm in the same boat when it comes to time and how I spend it on video games. Took me and my bro a god damned month to get through Earth Defense Force, and I really don't have time for most games nowadays.

That being said, the idea of limiting yourself to one platform (and the one apt to get the smallest amount of games) is just stupid.

Even if I won't partake in 90% of the options I have, I at least am glad I have them.

Edited by CONKERSBADFURDAY, 23 May 2014 - 05:29 PM.

#9 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:46 PM

I said I was disappointed, but my answer lies somewhere between the first 2 options. I'm disappointed, but that's because I wanna see Xbone fail--not because I wanted to see M$ stick to its guns.

The fact that I'm disappointed because I wanted M$ to fail kinda goes into my 2nd option, which is that I feel the $100 discount will only boost Xbone sales. I think few people wanted Natal2, and once they don't have to pay extra money to allow M$ spy on their dicks, I expect Xbone sales to take off at a faster rate.

#10 G-tech

G-tech

Level 1

• War Wasp
  • 205 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:46 PM

Meh, I have no interest in getting a Xbox One and the absence of the Kinect does not change that. I own too many games on several platforms that I have yet to complete to even think about buying a new system. 

I am curious how much of an impact the exclusion of the Kinect will have on games using it. I'm sure there won't be any "Triple A" level developers working on games that are reliant on Kinect and I doubt they'll even bother with optional features (similar to how SixAxis fell by the way side few years into the PS3 lifespan). I think indie teams are more likely to support the device considering all the crazy things that were created for the first Kinect by homebrew community. I wonder if there was a lot of support for Kinect anyway? I assume that if there was large amount of software currently in development for the thing they wouldn't drop it, right?

I'm more curious how much this will affect consumers decision on picking up an One. The price wasn't the only problem people had with that system. The X1 had an awful image around E3 with the whole requirement to connect online every 24 hours and the inability to play used games and I curious if that stigma still exist. The Wii U has been out for over a year and it's still thought to be an add-on for the Wii.

The fact that I'm disappointed because I wanted M$ to fail kinda goes into my 2nd option, which is that I feel the $100 discount will only boost Xbone sales. I think few people wanted Natal2, and once they don't have to pay extra money to allow M$ spy on their dicks, I expect Xbone sales to take off at a faster rate.

Why do you want Microsoft to fail? And for that matter what do you mean by fail? They're (or should I say "it's." I can't remember if companies are referred in singular or plural) already behind the X1 so that can't be what you mean. Do you want them to exit the console race altogether? I don't see how less competition is good for the consumer. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users