• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:40 AM

As announced during today's Nintendo Direct, retail Wii games will finally be coming to the Wii U eShop. The software will be launched from the Wii U main menu, like any other Wii U software.

To start things off, Super Mario Galaxy 2 has been released in the US today. For their first week of sale these games will be $9.99, with a bump to $19.99 afterwards. Future games will include Donkey Kong Country Returns, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Kirby's Return to DreamLand, Punch-Out!!, Pandora's Tower, and Sin & Punishment 2.

Games that previously supported the Classic Controller will include support for GamePad play. Wii games on Wii U will still be rendered at 480p however.

#2 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:53 AM

AND GAMECUBE IS WHERE??!?!?!?!

Also, what the fucj--Pandora's Tower? What is the fucking deal? Of the 3 Rainfall games, that one is the worst. Why not Xenoblade? That way they can make GameStop eat a fucking dick.

Edited by Plant42, 14 January 2015 - 09:58 AM.

#3 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:03 AM

Gotta sell dem New 3DS units. :3

lel

But yeah, seriously, where the hell is the GCN? It would be so easy, I don't understand.

#4 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:43 PM

Looks like the games are still running fully in vWii. This means that save files will still be managed in Wii mode, which means that if you have existing saves for the Wii versions they will be read by the new digital versions. This also means you'll be restricted by Wii mode's paltry storage space however.

As another potential plus though, this means we could be seeing improvements to Wii Mode in the future. As these games now support the GamePad as an input device, this means Nintendo has found a way around vWii's restrictions, and thus GamePad and possibly Pro Controller and even GCN adapter support could possibly come to Wii Mode in the future.

#5 Sage AtownKED

AtownKED

Level 4

• Sage Sage
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:39 PM

If they can do Wii games they basically proved that Gamecube games can be done. IIRC, The Wii was built on the same system architecture as the Gamecube, which is why it was perfectly backwards compatible without any emulation bullshit going on. So what's the deal Nintendo? Let's fucking do this shit.

Looks like the games are still running fully in vWii. This means that save files will still be managed in Wii mode, which means that if you have existing saves for the Wii versions they will be read by the new digital versions. This also means you'll be restricted by Wii mode's paltry storage space however.

As another potential plus though, this means we could be seeing improvements to Wii Mode in the future. As these games now support the GamePad as an input device, this means Nintendo has found a way around vWii's restrictions, and thus GamePad and possibly Pro Controller and even GCN adapter support could possibly come to Wii Mode in the future.

Wait, so that also means you can't use Miiverse with any of the Wii games either right? That's kind of lame, but this does make me excited for the possibility of being able to play Wii games with my Gamecube controllers again.

#6 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:10 PM

If they can do Wii games they basically proved that Gamecube games can be done. IIRC, The Wii was built on the same system architecture as the Gamecube, which is why it was perfectly backwards compatible without any emulation bullshit going on. So what's the deal Nintendo? Let's fucking do this shit.

Same with the Wii U actually. They're all running on custom PowerPC CPUs that are fully backwards compatible with the instruction sets of the prior console's chip. The Wii's GPU is also an update to the GCN's with full backwards compatibility, and it's believed that the Wii U actually includes the Wii's GPU for Wii Mode compatibility. But yeah, the fact that Wii Mode ever existed to begin with was proof enough that GCN software could run natively on Wii U - Wii support inherently requires GCN support as well. In fact, people actually have had GCN (and Wii) games running off HDD for a while on Wii U, with no emulation at all.

Wait, so that also means you can't use Miiverse with any of the Wii games either right? That's kind of lame, but this does make me excited for the possibility of being able to play Wii games with my Gamecube controllers again.

Yup, no Miiverse.

#7 gamerman99 GameBoy

gamerman99

Chozo Myth Keeper

• GameBoy GameBoy
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:02 PM

This was my first impression as well - where dafuqda HC games at?!?

Also, smg2 = earthbound in price this week O.o

And as much as I'd love Xonevlade, with the rest release I knew it wouldn't be on there. But maybe The last Story will, and how about Skyward Sword without the motionplus bullshit?

#8 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:06 PM

This was my first impression as well - where dafuqda HC games at?!?

Also, smg2 = earthbound in price this week O.o

And as much as I'd love Xonevlade, with the rest release I knew it wouldn't be on there. But maybe The last Story will, and how about Skyward Sword without the motionplus bullshit?

There's literally 0% chance that Skyward Sword will be released without motion controls. These are simply the original Wii ISOs distributed with a special loader (and maybe custom IOSs) - nothing has been changed, nor will anything be changed. The GamePad is supported in some games simply because the Classic Controller maps to it 1:1. Even if they were changing things, the amount of work that would have to go into converting Skyward Sword to traditional controls would be massive, to the extent that they'd still never do it.

Besides, the controls are fantastic. Get over your aversion and play it, it's a fantastic game.

#9 gamerman99 GameBoy

gamerman99

Chozo Myth Keeper

• GameBoy GameBoy
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:01 PM

I have just never bought the motionplus is all

#10 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:06 PM

I have just never bought the motionplus is all

Ah, I knew we had a few people on the site who refused to play it for motion controls, and I thought I remembered you being one of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users