Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Windows 10 Free Upgrade from Windows 7 (and higher)

Windows Microsoft Win10 Win7 free upgrade

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Quick Brown Fox

Quick Brown Fox

Level 1

• Shriekbat
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:44 PM

source

For up to one year after release, Windows 7 users may permanently upgrade their OS for free. This sort of blows my mind. It's a business model completely new. It makes sense, tho. A lot less market fragmentation this way.

Now hopefully Windows 10 will actually be good (though I had nothing against Win 8.1, just never purchased it)

#2 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:59 PM

I wouldn't say it's "completely new". :P But yeah, it is nice.

I've actually had the Windows 10 Preview running on a secondary partition on my computer for a few months now and it's pretty neat. Still have to upgrade to today's build though.

Also, 8.1 is pretty great.

#3 gamerman99 GameBoy

gamerman99

Chozo Myth Keeper

• GameBoy GameBoy
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:51 PM

Will this work for company's as well or just personal pc?

#4 Quick Brown Fox

Quick Brown Fox

Level 1

• Shriekbat
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:33 AM

I wouldn't say it's "completely new". :P But yeah, it is nice.

I've actually had the Windows 10 Preview running on a secondary partition on my computer for a few months now and it's pretty neat. Still have to upgrade to today's build though.

Oh cool! I was thinking of installing the preview on my test rig. And 8.1 has a lot of cool things going for it, I know. I like the design and mostly, the gaming compatibility that 7 has. But that is less an issue nowadays.

Made this thread because it was an excuse to make a thread. Roommate also works for Microsoft, I can't escape these announcements.

Will this work for company's as well or just personal pc?

business blog post

Uhhhh. Doesn't really say directly.

Edited by Quick Brown Fox, 22 January 2015 - 12:33 AM.

#5 Ngamer01

Ngamer01

Level 9000

• Odama
  • 6,211 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:02 AM

While it is nice to be able to jump on Windows 10 for free at least up to a year past 10's release, I might need to wait about six months before jumping to 10 from 8.1 to make sure stuff is compatible with 10 (I hope my laptop won't need upgrading first if the specs turn out too weak).

I didn't jump on 8.1 right away because one of my installed games wasn't compatible with it at the time.  I wouldn't want an early Vista situation and find out like 75% of my PC stuff doesn't work on 10.  So I'll wait for a time before jumping to 10 during the free year.

Edited by Ngamer01, 22 January 2015 - 07:03 AM.

#6 LazyyDogg

LazyyDogg

Level 1

• Skree
  • 251 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:33 PM

Windows 8 is pretty gr8! \(^▽^@)ノ

seriously, it is. i like it. Is 10 gonna be like 8 or will it be more 7-style?

#7 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:33 PM

Windows 8/8.1 could basically be seen as a very rough blueprint for Windows 10. Win10 basically takes all of 8.x's ideas and either expands on them or tweaks them a bit to be smoother. The most noticeable change off the bat is the return of the Start Menu, which has been merged together with the Start Screen. It's pretty much the classic Start Menu, but now there's a pane attached to it containing the tiles for Modern apps. I think the setup can be tweaked a lot though, to make the pane larger or smaller. Other changes include Modern apps being windowed now, and dynamically changing their UIs based off of user input devices and screen size. In fact, the UI in general adapts better to different form factors. For example, if you're using a Surface Tablet with a keyboard attached, it looks a lot like a classic Windows desktop, but when you detatch the keyboard the taskbar icons get larger and Modern Apps adjust to be more touch friendly.

There's a lot of other changes too, big and small, but overall the theme seems to be reinventing Windows 8.x to meet user expectations while still growing the OS in the ways MS always intended.

#8 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:46 PM

Where the fuck is Windows 9? I know that shit was announced years ago. Is M$ going to pull a Lucas and release the prequel later?

Also, fuck every OS after Windows XP. That was the best OS ever. I'm still waiting for them to come out with Windows XP 2.

Aaaanyway, I'm glad this shit will be free, because there's no way I would have upgraded to 10--not for all the cocks in the world.

Edited by Plant42, 23 January 2015 - 03:47 PM.

#9 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:01 PM

Windows 9 was never announced.

#10 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:06 PM

Windows 9 was never announced.

I guess it depends on your definition of "announced," but I clearly saw an article about M$ otherwise talking about windows 9, with a fuckin' logo and all (a sans-serif 9 as boring as the 8).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users