Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Tembo the Badass Elephant, a Collaboration Between SEGA and GameFREAK

gamefreak sega collaboration upcoming release tembo the badass elephant xbox one ps4 pc steam

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#11 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:28 PM

Likely just a difference in character encoding between CS and IGN then.Anyway, yeah, I knew GameFreak was wholly independent, but I am surprised they're skipping Nintendo altogether. I kind of doubt the real reason was "eh, it just worked out that way" as they said in the interview. Odds are they either specifically and deliberately wanted to try out a project on competing hardware, or Nintendo was uncomfortable launching a game from the creators of Pokémon that's so very not Pokémon.

Why the fuck don't we have a Donphan edition? >:(

Edited by Plant42, 11 March 2015 - 04:17 PM.

#12 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:12 PM

So this is launching tonight on Xbox One, PS4, and PC for $15, though apparently it's 10% off on at least Xbox One for the first few days. Initial reviews have been good, so that's nice. Anyone going to be picking this up soon? I'd like to, but I'm too poor haha.

#13 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:47 PM

Ehh, not now anyway. I'll prolly get this Indie Masterpiece someday when the planets of my boredom with nothing else to play and a nice discount sale for this game align. This looks better than Shovel Knight to me, though... Prolly cuz it's not true Indie Masterpiece, lul.

#14 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:01 PM

Tembo GameTrailers review: 8.0

It's kinda short, and it has occasional fucky controls, but it's only $15 and the fucky control instances are not bad enough to get in the way of it being a good game. Still, it's fun to be a virtual wrecking ball of an elephant, and it's great to see GameFreak expanding past Pokémon to realize their vision of a game that is too badass for Nintendo.

Edited by Plant42, 22 July 2015 - 03:04 PM.

#15 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:14 PM

From my 15-minute trial that got me an achievement goddammit, that score sounds about right. It's definitely a fun and quirky game, and is overall well-made, though multi-directional dashing can make it a little hard to do the right dash, and apparently the final boss is crazy OP.

Definitely weird seeing the GameFreak logo on Xbox One. :P

Also, I was really surprised to that it was developed in Unity. Weird. Plus, it also makes it weirder that it's not coming to Wii U, since Unity makes multi-platform development really easy, and they could pretty much compile a Wii U binary whenever they want.

#16 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:43 PM

From my 15-minute trial that got me an achievement goddammit, that score sounds about right. It's definitely a fun and quirky game, and is overall well-made, though multi-directional dashing can make it a little hard to do the right dash, and apparently the final boss is crazy OP.

Definitely weird seeing the GameFreak logo on Xbox One. :P

Also, I was really surprised to that it was developed in Unity. Weird. Plus, it also makes it weirder that it's not coming to Wii U, since Unity makes multi-platform development really easy, and they could pretty much compile a Wii U binary whenever they want.

But he's BadAss!! D:

Really though, I think this might be a bit of an experiment to see how their works could hold up in a Non-tendo environment... Ya think, maybe??

#17 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:05 PM

But he's BadAss!! D:

Really though, I think this might be a bit of an experiment to see how their works could hold up in a Non-tendo environment... Ya think, maybe??

Perhaps. It's hard to know for sure, but it seems plausible that's part of it.

At the very least I think we can continue to see more stuff like this coming out of GameFreak. They've had non-Pokémon releases every year for the last 4 years now, including a self-published iOS title, so they're definitely spreading their wings.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gamefreak, sega, collaboration, upcoming release, tembo the badass elephant, xbox one, ps4, pc, steam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users