• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 G-tech

G-tech

Level 1

• War Wasp
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 04:46 PM

Activision isn't the only company adapting it's marquee franchise in to an online-only, free to play game. Earlier today Microsoft announced Halo Online, a free to play multiplayer-only game for the PC. The game is being co-developed by Saber Interactive and Innova Systems and it's running on a highly modified version of the Halo 3 engine.

There is no release date, however, a beta is scheduled to be released sometime in the spring and only in Russia. When asked why is Halo Online is only going to be available in Russia PR Bot-8000 replied, "Halo Online is a learning opportunity for us as we explore ways to welcome new fans to the 'Halo' universe. We’re excited to release a 'Halo' multiplayer-only PC experience tailored for Russian gamers beep-blorp-bop".

Check out the links bellow for more info.

Sources: Kotaku, Halo Waypoint.

Edited by G-tech, 26 March 2015 - 07:51 AM.

#2 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:40 PM

Saw this this morning. Reaction online is glorious. Ranging from "Just another way 343 is trying to kill Halo" to "Russia only? Even more incompetent than fucking NOA" to "Why is this bullshit hitting PC before MCC?"

To all of which I answer: it's an experimental side project aimed at a market that almost exclusively plays F2P games. It's not for us. And that's ok.

#3 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:45 PM

It's not for us. And that's ok.

Holy shit, NOT EVEN Prime cares.

EVERYBODY SELL ALL OF YOUR HALO STOCKS ASAP!!!

#4 Bobby Lee "Buford" Robok

Bobby Lee "Buford" Robok

The Villain of Mario Kart

• Flaahgra
  • 2,163 posts
  • Nintendo ID:RobokW
  • 3DS Code:3523-2685-0069

Posted 25 March 2015 - 06:04 PM

Posting in a G-Tech thread. More rare than a Marth amiibo.

#5 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:19 AM

Holy shit, NOT EVEN Prime cares.

EVERYBODY SELL ALL OF YOUR HALO STOCKS ASAP!!!

Nah, I do care, but more out of curiosity. It's an interesting project and I'd like to see how it turns out, but everyone's just losing their minds over it and I'm like gais stahp dont

Also, IGN has a rewind theatre up from the Russian trailer: http://www.ign.com/a...-rewind-theater

Some interesting stuff. The game definitely looks like a weird mish-mash. As far as maps go you have one that's based on a Halo 2 map and with some tweaking could probably work in H2A, but then they have another map (Guardian) that's literally ripped straight from H3 with no changes, and then others that look like some kind of bizarro H4. In fact, most of the new assets are clearly H4-inspired, but the art direction is really bizarre in some areas (hello armor), so the point that I think most of the design work is being done by Sabre, not 343i.

As far as the game itself, it's very clearly going all-in on the F2P model. To the point that I couldn't see it ever being successful in the American PC (or console) market. In the slim chance this ever makes it over here, it's going to be changed a lot. Like as a subscription-based game rather than micro-transaction oriented.

#6 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 12:32 AM

So a build of the game leaked online and people have managed to get it running. It can't connect online and thus all you can do is screw around on the maps, but they're already doing some heaving modding work and attempting to get a private server running. Apparently the goal is to basically mod it into Halo 3 PC, but we'll see how far they get before MS starts locking everything down as best the can.

Anyway, the current build has 6 maps. 2 remakes: a desert+UNSC version of Halo 3's Avalanche and a Russian-themed version of Halo 2's Turf; 2 direct Halo 3 ports: Guardian and Valhalla; and 2 brand new maps: a Halo 4-style Forerunner-themed map called Edge and a large, symmetrical, USNC-themed map with dynamic elements titled reactor. You can see screens of the remakes and new maps here: http://imgur.com/a/EKlDx

There are also code references to the remaining Halo 3 maps, as well as ODST and Reach Firefight maps. Interesting.

#7 G-tech

G-tech

Level 1

• War Wasp
  • 205 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:05 PM

I wonder if that bit of code is in there because this game is running on a modified version of the Halo 3 engine or actually in development. I would imagine it be the later with the inclusion of those Firefight maps. Maybe both? If it isn't apparent by now I know next to nothing about programming, so feel free to correct on this matter if you feel like it.

#8 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:28 PM

The Halo 3 map references could very easily just be leftover traces of the original Halo 3 code, but I'd say the Firefight maps show that they are at least testing the possibility of adding in Firefight. I see no other reason why they would use those maps, unless they for some reason thought that they'd make good competitive maps.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Russia, Только, Премьер, Заботится, Halo Online, Halo, PC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users