• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:41 PM

Alright, I had a plan to keep this going into progressively crazier steps, but I think it's gone on long enough. :P

As many of you have discovered, I recently installed a new live chat application to the forums. This, among other features, recently opened up to us when I converted our forum software license to a new structure - something those of you who frequent the preexisting chat have likely heard about. As the software is officially developed by Invision Power (who also develops our forum software) it has multiple pros over our existing "shoutbox", the unfortunately it has some cons as well.

First off the pros:
- More stable
- Messages are sent and received faster
- No duplicate message errors
- Much less chance of dropped messages
- Better overall "build quality"
- Much more compact/scalable pop-up chat
- Private one-on-one live chats
- Guaranteed support for future forum versions
- More likely to see major growth going forward
- Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch’entrate

And now the cons:
- It's not truly free (though this is a very minor issue - it's $10 per year for more than 5 concurrent users)
- No member-facing message archive (there is however an admin-side archive)
- Very short message buffer
- Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch’entrate

Most of you have probably noticed the second and third cons. Upon entering the chat only messages posted within the last few minutes will be loaded, and there is no public archive to view messages no longer in the buffer. Unfortunately I know for many of you this is a fairly major con, particularly considering how we typically use the chat here. This is the primary reason why I haven't switched us over completely. But seeing how many of you seem at least somewhat interested in the new chat, I figured I should at least ask everyone's opinions.

So, what is your stance on the classic shoutbox versus the new live chat? Do you have any ideas in general about how CS's live chat solution should be implemented?

#2 G-tech

G-tech

Level 1

• War Wasp
  • 205 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:20 AM

- No member-facing message archive (there is however an admin-side archive)

Sooooooo, that means you saw every post I made in chat.

First of all I want to apologize to Zen. Sorry Zen, had I known the existence of an administrator archive I would not have egged you on to say that... that thing you said.  Hopefully Prime will not relay that message to the relevant person, but considering we now know he gets some sick, sadistical pleasure tormenting us that might not be the case. Again, I'm terribly sorry.

I also would like to apologize to Prime. No, not for the statement from the previous paragraph but for all the, how should I put it, "conversations" I had in chat. The... "conversations" were of a most disturbing manner that no man should have to witness. Yes, even though you are an egotistical maniac that apparently loves to treat us as his own life-action Sims, I do not believe the... "conversations" should be retroactively applied as punishment. So, I'm truly sorry for my actions. And my God have mercy on both our souls.

As for the chat... I don't know.  I've already mentioned what I think are the pros in the... "conversations"-- better organization of consecutive entries from one user and the usage of avatars, et cetera-- but just as you said the lack of a user-side archive is somewhat problematic because that's how I pick up on a conversation that maybe on going or to see if someone responded to a question I asked. The shoutbox is great public messaging (or PM for short) for the entire forum chat in an asynchronous conversations that's not suitable for a thread. Heck, it pretty much replaced the usage of the Impact Crater. Granted I never really used it much myself so maybe my view on this is not accurate.

I think that the new chat will be most useful for special events like E3 or a Nintendo Direct were I'm sure we'll be at our most active. 

#3 Bobby Lee "Buford" Robok

Bobby Lee "Buford" Robok

The Villain of Mario Kart

• Flaahgra
  • 2,163 posts
  • Nintendo ID:RobokW
  • 3DS Code:3523-2685-0069

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:59 AM

I feel privileged to to use any service on this forum so whatever you want to do is fine by me. If I jump into the chat and there's some steamy topic that I'm missing out on, like DBZ plot discussion, I wont exactly miss the archive function; I've never been the type of person who walks into the middle of the living room while everyone is watching TV and asks "WHO'S THAT? WHAT'S GOING ON WHAT EPISODE IS THIS?"

Edited by Robok, 26 March 2015 - 05:00 AM.

#4 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:51 AM

I was interested in it because it was something new and, may I add, cryptic as fuck. But I immediately noticed how nothing was archived past a short amount of time, so I thought that it was incomplete or that the settings are not on right. Now you say that it will never be better than this, to which I say that it's pretty much useless. You mentioned stability, but seriously now, when there is a new system update to 3DS or whatever, who actually gives a shit about the stability? Shoutbox works pretty well, and the only problem that I have with it is that I can't see enough of the archive easily enough on my phone. Compared to the shoutbox though, it's a hell of a lot better than its nothing at all.

#5 gamerman99 GameBoy

gamerman99

Chozo Myth Keeper

• GameBoy GameBoy
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:00 AM

And I'm just over here sitting in the new chat wondering when y'all are gonna finally join the [one man] party :P

Not sure wtf that Shit's about in post #2. Also not sure I need to know, so *shrugs* whatever.

I'm with Robok; I wanna keep this place up & running as long as we can, & I'm grateful for it. I don't really care Either way. I will say, when I don't check in or check the archive, I do feel a bit lost or behind, but that's prolly more because I'm gamerman99 than anything :)

In conclusion, I vote to bring back Chatzy.

#6 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:30 AM

Now you say that it will never be better than this

Well, I didn't quite say that and I also did say it has the most chance for growth, by which I mean it's basically guaranteed to grow going forward. It's entirely possible a user-facing archive feature will be added in the future.

But yes, for the moment there are no more options for me to configure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users