• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#11 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:28 PM

Beta is live this weekend only. Taking forever to download too...

This game is coming out in less than a month. How is a beta of this late useful?

Edited by Plant42, 14 May 2016 - 08:00 AM.

#12 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 01:28 AM

Balance tweaks and most importantly pre-launch network stress-tests.

#13 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:48 AM

Yeah, I see that now... I didn't follow Doom in the HD games, but I just read Gamerman's posts in the Shoutbox and I see that Gamerman was playing this shit as online multiplayer. Since when does Doom have an online multiplayer component? I thought this shit was singleplayer-only. Hopefully this isn't the first. It's pretty dumb how most games nowadays don't have the balls to exist without some kind of multiplayer.

#14 CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

has no sense of humor

• Chozo Chancellor
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 11:24 AM

Yeah, I see that now... I didn't follow Doom in the HD games, but I just read Gamerman's posts in the Shoutbox and I see that Gamerman was playing this shit as online multiplayer. Since when does Doom have an online multiplayer component? I thought this shit was singleplayer-only. Hopefully this isn't the first. It's pretty dumb how most games nowadays don't have the balls to exist without some kind of multiplayer.

I believe the first two had some kind of LAN play. Hard to tell when I google it if some of this is from OLD SCHOOL Doom or from recent ports.

But I"m pretty sure it's always had some kind of multipalyer, it was just a bitch to access.

Regardless, we need more old-school arena shooters these days, so if this delivers, then I'm game.

#15 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 02:09 PM

lulwut

Multiplayer has been a huge part of Doom since the very first game. Doom was THE networked multiplayer game for quite a while, and it's part of why the series was so huge in the 90's. Every single Doom game except for Doom 64 and some mobile spin-offs support online play (though the original was just LAN until DWANGO launched the next year).

#16 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 03:49 PM

lulwut

Multiplayer has been a huge part of Doom since the very first game. Doom was THE networked multiplayer game for quite a while, and it's part of why the series was so huge in the 90's. Every single Doom game except for Doom 64 and some mobile spin-offs support online play (though the original was just LAN until DWANGO launched the next year).

So it was just PVP? Pick up guns, kill people, and shit?

Now that you put it this way, it makes me wonder if I was aware of this fact or not. I should have... Either way, I was familiar with it as a strictly single-player game. I have the first 3 on PC, lol. My uncle gave them to me fuckyears ago on a CD with "all the Dooms" scribbled on it, lol. I should boot that shit up and see if it has something in the menus about Multiplayer. Only then will I see how blind I was. :P

#17 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:05 PM

The first Doom literally invented "Deathmatch".

Both Doom and Doom II had full-campaign co-op play as well.

#18 gamerman99 GameBoy

gamerman99

Chozo Myth Keeper

• GameBoy GameBoy
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:39 PM

While I didn't play Doom, Quake, Unreal Tournament, or Wolfenstein, Doom pretty much invented it all, and I'm sure was a major inspiration to nearly any online multiplayer shooter that we know and love today.

That said, I thought it was odd the beta is less than a month before launch. Gears 4 beta begins this week and isn't out til Oct.

I'm indifferent on the beta. IDK if I'll pick Doom up on launch, or wait for some kinda sale (prolly the latter of course). It's fun enough...feedback seems to be rather mixed online though. I think it could use more than a few tweaks...my original impressions were in the shoutbox. I'm sure there will be several patches throughout the year.

#19 gamerman99 GameBoy

gamerman99

Chozo Myth Keeper

• GameBoy GameBoy
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 10:37 PM

So Doom released today...did anybody else pick it up? Lol @ my above post; this was after my first impressions, and before actually getting into the swing of it all...

Played the first act of story. Seems ok so far. Like I mentioned before, I never played the original Doom games, or any prior installments for that matter. As interesting as the 1-P Story is so far, I'm having an absolute blast in multiplayer, which is where Ive spent the bulk of my time so far. The demons you can spawn into are each very unique, though admittedly it seems I rarely get the spawns. I am doing pretty well overall though in several of the game modes. I love the faster paced gameplay along with the constant run-and-gun feel that it's got. The maps for the most part work out well enough, but I kinda wish there weren't so many sections within each map where you can jump to go through part of it, leaving you vulnerable to an enemy shooter while you're focused on jumping/progressing forward. Overall I'm really enjoying it. I played from about 6:30 this evening til about 15 minutes ago (2:15am). Leveling-up seems to be going quickly too, as Im already at level 35 I think. Im assuming there's something similar to prestiging in CoD in this game too though once you hit level 50, but I guess I'll probably find out tomorrow. Oh, and the customizations in this game are ridiculous, in a good way. Tons of various colors, patterns, skins, variations on armor. And possibly best of all, I pretty much got it free from a $50 gift card and other various credit that I already had from Best Buy.

Edited by gamerman99, 13 May 2016 - 10:39 PM.

#20 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 08:34 AM

So Doom released today...did anybody else pick it up? Lol @ my above post; this was after my first impressions, and before actually getting into the swing of it all...

Played the first act of story. Seems ok so far. Like I mentioned before, I never played the original Doom games, or any prior installments for that matter. As interesting as the 1-P Story is so far, I'm having an absolute blast in multiplayer, which is where Ive spent the bulk of my time so far. The demons you can spawn into are each very unique, though admittedly it seems I rarely get the spawns. I am doing pretty well overall though in several of the game modes. I love the faster paced gameplay along with the constant run-and-gun feel that it's got. The maps for the most part work out well enough, but I kinda wish there weren't so many sections within each map where you can jump to go through part of it, leaving you vulnerable to an enemy shooter while you're focused on jumping/progressing forward. Overall I'm really enjoying it. I played from about 6:30 this evening til about 15 minutes ago (2:15am). Leveling-up seems to be going quickly too, as Im already at level 35 I think. Im assuming there's something similar to prestiging in CoD in this game too though once you hit level 50, but I guess I'll probably find out tomorrow. Oh, and the customizations in this game are ridiculous, in a good way. Tons of various colors, patterns, skins, variations on armor. And possibly best of all, I pretty much got it free from a $50 gift card and other various credit that I already had from Best Buy.

As I've said before, I'm interested in this game for the single-player mode, but I hope they focused as much effort into it as the multiplayer modes. Nowadays I no longer clamor for 40-hour FPS single-player campaigns, since I don't have the nearly the amount of free/game time time as I used to, but I still want a decently long and fun single-player mode. However, reading your impressions is kinda... uplifting. Maybe it's more fun than I'd expect and I'd like it more than CoD?

It would be more fun with friends, like it was a blast playing CoD and Goldeneye Wii with CS friends in the past, you're playin' on Xbone and I have PS4. Only Robox (who is actually interested in this game) and BSGM (who's almost exclusively been playing FF14 [online] for the past several months) have PS4s. X doesn't have one, and he won't be getting one either; he secretly went PC on us this generation (my mind is still blown on that). Ngamer was strictly Wii last gen, and I dunno which way Morgil is gonna go (if any). He had a 360 last gen, but he didn't play it much. He didn't even finish Duke Nukem Forever, the last game he was playing on there... launched in May 2011? 5 years ago??? :(

HAY PRAM, POLL IDEA!

What "current generation" console will you buy?

• I already have a PS4.

• I already have an Xbone.

• I'm boning both of these sexy beasts.

• Who needs that PS4 and Xbone when you have PC?

• PSBone-what? Is that what they're calling the NX nowadays?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users