• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

has no sense of humor

• Chozo Chancellor
  • 6,859 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 07:52 PM

Finished the game awhile back. It was pretty fucking awesome. Really picked up gameplay wise around the midpoint, when I had a bigger arsenal of upgraded weapons and the variety of things to shoot went up.

Have yet to try multiplayer though :(

#42 gamerman99 GameBoy

gamerman99

Chozo Myth Keeper

• GameBoy GameBoy
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:31 PM

I hate that people keep bashing the multiplayer. It's fun for what it is! I just don't understand the hate towards it. Maybe the people bitchin about it just aren't good at it with quick enough reflexes? Who knows. But I'm excited about that DLC ... I'm wanting to pick it up but hopefully if the season pass is on sale.

#43 gamerman99 GameBoy

gamerman99

Chozo Myth Keeper

• GameBoy GameBoy
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:08 PM

The first piece of DLC, hosting a new pistol, kinetic mine, demon, armor, taunts, and 3 new maps, released today.

More here: https://m.reddit.com...aint_post_that/

As a bonus, this weekend is a double-xp weekend. I wanna get the new dlc pack, but I'm not sure how much it is vs. the season pass, or if it'll go on sale...

FYI, I have seen Doom on sale already for 30 bucks.

Edited by gamerman99, 04 August 2016 - 04:08 PM.

#44 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 04:34 PM

Never posted about it here, but I downloaded the demo, and this game wasn't nearly as fun as it looked. It's got the same graceless, brutish feel that I got out of BioShock (that's a bad thing). The finisher/execution moves got redundant and lost their appeal even before the end of the demo (World 1-1 or whatever). No longer interested in this game, unless i can get it for, like, fuckin' free or someshit.

Edited by PBluafnotr4d2, 05 August 2016 - 04:36 PM.

#45 CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

has no sense of humor

• Chozo Chancellor
  • 6,859 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 07:54 PM

Never posted about it here, but I downloaded the demo, and this game wasn't nearly as fun as it looked. It's got the same graceless, brutish feel that I got out of BioShock (that's a bad thing). The finisher/execution moves got redundant and lost their appeal even before the end of the demo (World 1-1 or whatever). No longer interested in this game, unless i can get it for, like, fuckin' free or someshit.

The first level or two are pretty bland, but once you get some better weapons and are fighting a bigger variety of demons, it's fun as fuck. It's also nothing like Bioshock.

#46 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:10 PM

The first level or two are pretty bland, but once you get some better weapons and are fighting a bigger variety of demons, it's fun as fuck. It's also nothing like Bioshock.

BioShock was more interesting in that it had a story. I know that Doom is really about killing demons first and story taking a far back seat, but that's where it starts to lose my interest. I only related it to BioShock because both games have a jerky, unnatural, feel in the movement. I can't think of the word I'm looking for to describe it, but they both make me feel like I'm just a lifeless point in space targeting and firing at shit. I don't feel like I'm controlling a character, nor like I am a character, except for when NPCs talk to me directly.

#47 CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

has no sense of humor

• Chozo Chancellor
  • 6,859 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 06:46 AM

BioShock was more interesting in that it had a story. I know that Doom is really about killing demons first and story taking a far back seat, but that's where it starts to lose my interest. I only related it to BioShock because both games have a jerky, unnatural, feel in the movement. I can't think of the word I'm looking for to describe it, but they both make me feel like I'm just a lifeless point in space targeting and firing at shit. I don't feel like I'm controlling a character, nor like I am a character, except for when NPCs talk to me directly.

That's more of an old-school shooter feeling than anything else. I certainly didn't mind it in either game.

As for story, there is one. It's nothing amazing, but it's also better than people are giving it credit for. The Doom Guy is also a really brilliant character despite never saying a word. Great use of telling a story through gameplay.

The game isn't high art. If it does go on sale, I do suggest picking it up. After level two, you've got some better toys and bigger baddies to shoot, and it gets really, really amazing.

#48 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 11:15 AM

That's more of an old-school shooter feeling than anything else. I certainly didn't mind it in either game.

As for story, there is one. It's nothing amazing, but it's also better than people are giving it credit for. The Doom Guy is also a really brilliant character despite never saying a word. Great use of telling a story through gameplay.

The game isn't high art. If it does go on sale, I do suggest picking it up. After level two, you've got some better toys and bigger baddies to shoot, and it gets really, really amazing.

Yeah, it's because this is Doom that I appreciate the classic FPS approach. I don't really like the feel, but I see why it's there. I don't even care if he never talks (which is something I otherwise always hate in an FPS, especially when they never show your face either), precisely because he IS Doom Guy. But to keep me engaged in the game, I want more frequent story drops. He doesn't have to be the one talking, but I want more context and reason for his motivation besides "Hell on Mars. Wear this. Kill bad guys. Go." Sounds like it gets deeper from what u said, tho.

Edited by PBluafnotr4d2, 06 August 2016 - 04:12 PM.

#49 CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

has no sense of humor

• Chozo Chancellor
  • 6,859 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 11:41 AM

Yeah, it's because this is Doom that I appreciate the classic FPS approach. I don't really like the feel, but I see why it's there. I don't even care if he never talks (which is something I otherwise always hate in an FPS, especially when they never show your face either), precisely because he IS Doom Guy. But to keep me engaged in the game, I want more frequent story drops. Here doesn't have to be the one talking, but I want more context and reason for his motivation besides "Hell on Mars. Wear this. Kill bad guys. Go." Sounds like it gets deeper from what u said, tho.

Actually, it never gets deeper than that. Doom Guy exists to kill demons. That's his whole shtick. The game makes that work pretty well though through gameplay and the story bits you do receive though. Like, it elevates "Kill demons for days" to more than just killing demons for days, but even then, you're still just killing demons for days.

So maybe you won't like this as much as I figured you would.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users