• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ngamer01

Ngamer01

Level 9000

• Odama
  • 6,211 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:36 AM

Project Cars is a motorsports simulation game like Grand Turismo in which you race through realistic tracks and environments, but this time everything is available to race on from the start.  You can pick and choose which tracks/areas to tackle as you work to race through all the available tracks/areas in the game.  Other than that, the game plays fine despite not being innovative in the motorsports sim genre.

However the game has become notorious with Nintendo fans that helped crowdfund the game.

Wii U version of the game has now been officially cancelled due to Slightly Mad waiting for Nintendo's next system:

http://gonintendo.co...he-game-is-simp

Nintendo fans have not been reimbursed because Slightly Mad says Project Cars will go to NX, but this breaks the studios original promise when people crowdfunded for a Wii U version.  By delaying Cars for NX, they've pretty much made it the NX's first late port so it's not going to sell on NX now.  Anyone that gave a damn would have just get it on other platforms by then.

Worse yet, there's talk for a Project Cars 2 and if it arrives on other platforms just as NX gets the 1st game or hell, it's possible a Project Cars 1+2 can happen on other platforms with Project Cars 1 only for NX...  If the latter happens, it's another Mass Effect 3 Wii U situation.

When will 3rd parties learn if they want to build a Nintendo userbase, late ports, little to no DLC, and little to no good marketing (delaying Cars 1 to NX is not good marketing) is not how you do it.  Maybe Slightly Mad can ultimately be forgiven if a Project Cars 2 happens, that NX gets a 1+2 bundle first with all DLC before it heads to other platforms while other platforms get PC 2 and its DLC for the time Nintendo has a limited exclusive hold on the bundle.

Edited by Ngamer01, 21 July 2015 - 10:47 AM.

#2 torgo

torgo

Grand Poobah of Chozo Shriners

• Kraid
  • 3,414 posts
  • Nintendo ID:TorgoKong
  • 3DS Code:3866-8871-2120

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:36 AM

I didn't realize Slightly Mad was a subsidiary of Ubisoft. :|

#3 Bobby Lee "Buford" Robok

Bobby Lee "Buford" Robok

The Villain of Mario Kart

• Flaahgra
  • 2,163 posts
  • Nintendo ID:RobokW
  • 3DS Code:3523-2685-0069

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:38 AM

They should get their money back if there was an easy way, but I have a feeling the Wii U and Nintendo should take a little bit of the heat here. The fact that the Wii U is a stretch goal in some crowd funding projects just shows how difficult of a system it is to work with, and I've heard developers talk about how hard it is to work with Nintendo. Developers don't care about it.

Edited by Robok, 21 July 2015 - 09:38 AM.

#4 Kezay

Kezay

Level 2

• X Parasite
  • 575 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:01 PM

I'm not too mad about it because I didn't back the game but I did plan on supporting it despite the fact I'm not a fan of sim racers because Slightly Mad Studios seemed like they were really putting their best foot forward with it.  However, I do think it's a bit messed up that it took this long for them to realize they weren't going to be able to adequately present their vision on the system.  Wii U was one of the first non PC platforms confirmed to get the game and even after the 360/PS3 versions were cut (quickly and cleanly at that) they still kept people hanging on for the Wii U version despite it dropping from "being part of the plan" to a "maybe."  Other versions release with talk that the Wii U version will come later and in the meantime they were quick to announce a sequel but still the Wii U version was hanging in there... and now this.  I don't think SMS deserves a lot of the hate they're getting over this but I can certainly understand the feelings people have of being led on and disappointed by SMS waiting this long to say yay or nay.

But it's all good.  Whatever cash I was going to put towards this game I'll instead put towards 90s Arcade Racer and Fast Racing Neo instead, both being racing games that are more up my alley than Project CARS was so I don't feel too much of a loss with this game being canned.

#5 Kezay

Kezay

Level 2

• X Parasite
  • 575 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:18 PM

They should get their money back if there was an easy way, but I have a feeling the Wii U and Nintendo should take a little bit of the heat here. The fact that the Wii U is a stretch goal in some crowd funding projects just shows how difficult of a system it is to work with, and I've heard developers talk about how hard it is to work with Nintendo. Developers don't care about it.

Nintendo has actually been really supportive of indie developers on the Wii U and in most cases any projects with stretch goals involving Nintendo platforms tend to hit well above the target.  It's rare (and I honestly can't think of such an occasion) that a project's funding has to crawl towards a Wii U stretch goal or require teh developer making an exception to appease Nintendo fans.

#6 Hollis_

Hollis_

Level 1

• Geemer
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:55 PM

Can confirm Nintendo is awkward as fuck to work with. Nothing but aggro on both ends.

Honestly, it's not as if they didn't try. I can understand wanting to release the best version of their game for Nintendo console owners rather than pushing out a sub-optimal game way past deadline.

Offering a refund to anyone who doesn't want to wait for the NX port would be their best move, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users