• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#11 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,542 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:25 PM

I just read every word of that... Ugh, I'm still on the fence here.

I'm still excited because it's the next entry in my favorite franchise (fuck you, Tales...), but I don't like how he's saying that it's the next entry in the Resident Evil series, but that it will be virtually devoid of connection to the previous titles. Resident Evil 4, 5, and 6 got increasingly distant from the series' roots as far as gameplay is concerned, but that never stopped me from loving those games. Why? Because it progressed the overarching narrative of the series at large. So what if the enemies are no longer zombies and have the intelligence to wield firearms? It seemed out of place at first, but this is just evidence of the biological weapon virus technology advancing forward. It was awesome seeing the beloved characters advancing their careers, maturing both physically and professionally. As long as I got to experience that progression, I didn't really care how much action was thrown into the once-slow-paced gaming series.

...But now, Resident Evil 7 is introducing an unprecedented fundamental and controversial change in formula--and this time, they aren't even sticking to established characters as the foundation. It takes place after the events of Resident Evil 6, which featured a threat on a global scale. Everybody on the planet should know about the type biological terrorism threatening their safety, yet, there's going to be a danger of a whole new type in this game, which takes place at the heart of Unspecified-Rednecktown, USA? This is too much. Check this out:

ghosts.png

At face value, it seems that Ghosts, or the paranormal, will be the primary threat in Resident Evil 7. If that's the case, then FUCK Capcom so hard. Back before Resident Evil 4 launched, (I believe it was precisely) director Shinji Mikami said that even though it did NOT feature the T-Virus with traditional zombies, that the Resident Evil series' horror was rooted in the BOWs -- the Bio-Organic Weapons. To that point, the whole Resident Evil series has remained faithful, but this screenshot from RE7's reveal trailer aims to imply supernatural elements. There better not be any ghosts in this game. Not real ones, anyway. They may introduce some strange chemical or other physical element that gives one ghost-like properties, but not actual ghosts. For now, I'm taking this newspaper headline as (in-game) human error--that the author of that article is reporting someone who thinks they saw a ghost, but it was really something else. After all, how could someone know if they truly saw a ghost? In sum: Resident Evil 7 better still be based around Bio-Organic Weapons, and not anything supernatural, or simply your everyday hungry, starving, horny, pissed-off hillbilly.

Edited by PBluafnotr4d2, 16 June 2016 - 04:08 PM.

#12 gamerman99 GameBoy

gamerman99

Chozo Myth Keeper

• GameBoy GameBoy
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 04:00 PM

Is the still of the newspaper from the demo though? They've already said that the demo is really only to signify the feel of the new game, not necessarily offer insight as to what's to come. Also, the article mentionedthat of course there'd be Easter eggs/cameos in the game. Overall, I'm excited for what's to come, even if it's the paranormal from some sorta new virus.

#13 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,542 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 01:29 AM

Lol, I just found this priceless reaction video of the Easy Allies (former Gametrailers) guys during the live reveal of Resident Evil 7. :D

Michael Huber is the biggest Resident Evil fan of the group (2nd from the right on the top panel). Keep an occasional eye on him. :P

@Prime: Just imagine how comparably shitty the news of this game coming out would be had it been in leak form, instead of this blindsiding video.

"Umm, hey guys. This reliable source says he knows someone inside who says Resident Evil 7 will be shown at E3. It will look like P.T. and be in first person view and use Playstation VR on PS4."

Then we all go: "Really? No fucking way. Capcom would never go first person for Resident Evil. People just wish P.T. would come back. What a stupid rumor... but what if this is right? The leaker was right 8 out of 10 times, and those 2/10 weren't even his fault."

Then E3 comes, "Oh shit, this looks like what the leaker said. It must RE7, right? This is just like P.T... yep, looks like RE7!... and there the 'VII,' right on cue, though I don't know why they didn't just open the trailer with the new RE7 logo instead of waiting till the end. It's not like they were tricking anyone."

Yeah, leaks fucking MURDER glorious shock reveals. I'm so glad that didn't happen to RE7.

Edited by PBluafnotr4d2, 17 June 2016 - 01:44 AM.

#14 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 01:18 PM

ok

#15 gamerman99 GameBoy

gamerman99

Chozo Myth Keeper

• GameBoy GameBoy
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 06:24 PM

Couple things. 1st off, Capcom confirmed that RE7 won't focus on the supernatural/paranormal, contrary to belief.

Next, someone over at IGN gave lots of impressions and updates on the demo. Specifically, the fact that the demo includes pieces to a puzzle or puzzles that may not even be able to be solved [in the demo] and it's driving people over at r/ResidentEvil7 bonkers. Apparently there are "multiple endings" to how one can complete the demo. An interested in read all the same.

Why People Still Haven't Beaten Resident Evil 7's Demo http://www.ign.com/a...l-of-mysteries?

I just want some solid info on the game. BRING IT CAPCOM!!

Edited by gamerman99, 28 June 2016 - 06:25 PM.

#16 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,542 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 02:34 PM

Couple things. 1st off, Capcom confirmed that RE7 won't focus on the supernatural/paranormal, contrary to belief...

Yeah, I've been meaning to make this post for a fuckin' week now, but I kept being lazy and doing other shit like playing games and watching animu and shit. I knew it'd take me a while to make this post, so I was putting it off, Well, here it is! xP!!

So yeah, this is the official Capcom release from June 24th, featuring an interview with RE7 producer Masachika Kawata and director Kōshi Nakanishi:

http://www.capcom-un...ution-of-horror

They respond to the following questions:

• How are you feeling after the big announcement?

• What is your development history with the RE series?

• In your own words, what are the core differences between Resident Evil 7 and previous games in the series?

• Why did the team decide to shift RE7 into a first-person perspective?

• Resident Evil 7 is built from the ground up in Capcom's new proprietary RE Engine. Can you share a little more about this?

• Can you tell us more about the VHS aesthetic and found footage taps featured in the Resident Evil 7 Beginning Hour Teaser?

• RE7 is fully playable in PlayStation VR Mode. Tell us about the impact this has on the game.

• Is there ever a concern that the development team could make Resident Evil 7 too scary?

• Why did the development team decide to focus the setting of RE7 to a derelict plantation mansion?

There are 4 other questions asked which I wanted to elaborate upon. The first is actually from the closing question, which grants an opportunity for the devs to deliver a final message to the fans.  It is here that Capcom confirms the absence of supernatural/paranormal elements.

Nakanishi replies: "I want to give a reassuring message. I’ve seen from initial reactions of what we’ve put out that people are getting the impression that we’ve taken Resident Evil and turned it into some sort of supernatural, occult, ghost story. I think you can look at the trailer or the demo and get that impression, but don’t worry, we haven’t just thrown out Resident Evil as it exists and turned it into a ghost story. It will all make sense in the end. I know it’s frustrating holding back on what we can show fans, but this is really the best way to let you enjoy the game to the fullest when it finally comes out. We just have a trailer and a demo at this moment, but watch this space in the coming months and we hope you look forward to the game. We’re going to do our best to make the best game we can."

The second most important question to me was this: What character(s) do players control in this game? As I previously stated, I heard a Capcom rep during a live E3 interview dumping a revelation that REALLY rubbed me the wrong way: we would NOT be playing as one of the "Resident Evil heroes." I took this as an indirect confirmation that we'd be a nameless, unimportant avatar, which is one of the fastest ways to kill my interest in a video game.

Anyway, here's the Kawata's response: "Just to confirm – it isn’t an existing character whose eyes you’re seeing through. I think one of the places we got in the series up until now is you’re kind of playing these superhero characters. They’re fully equipped, powerful people who go into these survival horror situations but they’re ready for them. They can take it on. To bring the horror experience right to the player, we thought now that you’re in first person you’ll feel like you’re there. You can’t be looking through the perspective of a macho, hero character because that’s not you at home. Or maybe you are macho, I don’t know [laughs]. It’s sort of a powerless, ordinary person you’re playing as. We’re not really talking in too much detail about who they are right now, but they’re an ordinary person stuck in an extraordinary situation. I think that really brings the horror right to the fore. You wonder if this person you’re playing as – or you – will be able to cope with this situation. That’s a real feeling of helplessness that helps the horror stand out..."

I disagree with this. With the exception of Chris Redfield, who has become buff as fuck, the only reason why any of the other protagonists have become "macho" one-man or one-woman armies is because the shitload of ammo available everywhere. I'll never forget my disappointment I felt the first time that I killed a ganado in Resident Evil 4 (on the demo disc I obtained by importing a special issue of Famitsu), and noticed it dropped ammo. Make ammo scarce; make enemy encounters intimate, iconic, and memorable; and limit the mobility of the playable character. It might beg the question, "Why can't Leon suplex zombies anymore?" but that doesn't mean he can't be the star of the game anymore. That's not to say that I'm against the creation of new playable characters, since the series would get stale otherwise, though I do want to see all of the established characters return in some way so that I may continue to see where they go with their lives.

This third question actually confirms something pretty stupid that I never thought was finalized or legitimate: The full name of the game in the West is “Resident Evil 7 biohazard” and in Japan it’s “BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil”. Can you please explain this interesting new international naming convention? Wait, what the fuck? You mean that wasn't just a reveal title so that the Japanese audience and American weeaboos would relate to the title at the reveal? That's fucking dumb. Well, here's the Capcom response:

Kawata explains: "Obviously you can tell we wanted to merge the two titles we’ve had. As fans may know, the game has been called Biohazard ever since the beginning in Japan, and it’s been called Resident Evil in the West. We really want to have the big, impactful feeling of the series being in one place right now, and having one future it’s heading towards. To do that, we brought the two titles together into one with Resident Evil 7 biohazard. It’s the opposite in Japan, it’s BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil."

Uhh, yeah... thanks... because "Resident Evil" and "Biohazard" felt like two separate, unrelated franchises thus far. Now this unconventional game is titled like the 7th numerical installment in the series known as "Resident Evil biohazard," which has never existed before. I can't even... Well, fuck. Time to fuck up update this thread's title.

And here's my last reserved question: Is RE7 a reboot? We've already been given the answer to this long ago, but the response provided this time gives hope that this game won't be shitting all over our love for the franchise after all.

Nakanishi replied: "It’s not a reboot and we’re not throwing away the series’ canonical storyline. It’s the new numbered title in the series and it’s a sequel to the existing mainline series titles. After I say that and you try the demo, you may say “Really?”, because it looks nothing like any of that, but trust me. We need to have a bit of mystery in survival horror, so we’re trying to make you wonder when you play it how could this possibly be connected? That’s part of the appeal."

So there it is: Even though I can't shake the thought that this game can't possibly relate to any of the previous narratives, the RE7b™ director is promising not to betray our trust. Still, I must reiterate that I hope the new story will include established character development, and not merely have ties to previous entries through passive name dropping. I'll be offended if I only hear the names of, but never see, things like Raccoon, Wesker, Spencer, Neo-Umbrella, Uroboros, or any other Resident Evil "too-macho-for-RE7b hero" or prominent figure.

Again, here's the link to the full interview with answers to all the questions in the quote box above. It's interesting if you're anticipating this project. It'll be a Day-1 purchase for me regardless, but fucking shit, Capcom, don't fuck with my favorite franchise.

http://www.capcom-un...ution-of-horror

Edited by PBluafnotr4d2, 02 July 2016 - 02:44 PM.

#17 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,542 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 01:41 PM

New shit!
A little bit.
Capcom was quick to confirm that Herbs would be returning in Resident Evil 7, in their classic natural form (not pill-popping [RE6], spray conversion [RE5], or shit in a tube [RE4]). However, today, via Facebook, I found the official Resident Evil page sharing the first peek at the (green) herbs in RE7.

2QhGzlV.jpg

To intentionally tease us, they included a good coin in the render, and provided the accompanied statement: "A preview of the #greenherb for RE7. But what is that coin for?"

I'm certain that it has something to do with the use of herbs or healing, cuz if not, then what the fuck, Capcom? Anyway, the herbs and related items look great... I just hope the rest of the game will still be Resident Evil-y... ugh...

Edited by PBluafnotr4d2, 09 August 2016 - 01:41 PM.

#18 gamerman99 GameBoy

gamerman99

Chozo Myth Keeper

• GameBoy GameBoy
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:13 PM

People online are speculating that it could mean a return of the merchant. "WHATTAYA BUYINNN!?" I'm wondering if they're just showing off the new currency? I hope to God it's not a hint at in-game purchases or some shit to heal yourself.

#19 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,542 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:21 PM

People online are speculating that it could mean a return of the merchant. "WHATTAYA BUYINNN!?" I'm wondering if they're just showing off the new currency? I hope to God it's not a hint at in-game purchases or some shit to heal yourself.

It better fuckin not be. :| That fag is one of the reasons the series got derailed from survival horror. RE4 was there only one to face the merchant, but other RE games thereafter bypassed the Jackass completely and just had you boot up an upgrade menu before going into the action. You shouldn't be able to buy or upgrade your guns from a store. Ammo sound be comparably rare, and the majority of guns sound be as strong as they get, with the exception of one or two guns while you may potentially upgrade if you can find the hidden attachments. This is part of what made RE2 arguably the best RE game (definitely among the classics).

#20 Bobby Lee "Buford" Robok

Bobby Lee "Buford" Robok

The Villain of Mario Kart

• Flaahgra
  • 2,163 posts
  • Nintendo ID:RobokW
  • 3DS Code:3523-2685-0069

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:29 AM

The subtitle is biohazard, meaning in Japan this game is called: Biohazard 7: biohazard.

thanks japan T_T

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users