• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 03:11 PM

So Halo 5 is a game. It's out. I played it.

(gimme a bit to write up an OP, I just wanted a blank slate for any continued discussion haha)

#2 gamerman99 GameBoy

gamerman99

Chozo Myth Keeper

• GameBoy GameBoy
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 03:23 PM

I heard that the campaign is about 6 hours on Heroic while looking for Intel & skulls. I highly doubt this is the case, but wanted your opinion on it. Halo campaign will usually take me around 8-12 hours I'm thinking on average on Normal, just to soak it in & enjoy it.

#3 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 03:28 PM

I heard that the campaign is about 6 hours on Heroic while looking for Intel & skulls. I highly doubt this is the case, but wanted your opinion on it. Halo campaign will usually take me around 8-12 hours I'm thinking on average on Normal, just to soak it in & enjoy it.

No way. Maybe if you're playing co-op the norm would be around 6 hours for a first playthrough, but playing solo it will definitely average longer than that, especially when looking for skulls and intel. Even without collectables (of which there are significantly more this time, like, multiple times more) the campaign is easily longer than Halo 2, Halo 3, ODST, and Halo 4 and roughly equivalent, if a bit longer than, Reach and Halo CE. 6 hours would be rushing pretty quickly on solo normal.

#4 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 03:51 PM

From this review (score pending, cuz they wanna see if matchmaking is non-shit), it sounds like it's mostly a lot of fun--the best Halo in some aspects (not just graphics--but the Story is kinda meh. Also, you only get to control Master Chef for three of the fifteen missions. They gave it a 9.0.

Oh, and Prime-Eye-Pain warning: 60fps footage inside!

My impression: Holy shit, ADS for every gun?! This game is... worth playing kinda nao! ^_^

>>Edit: Final Version of the review is up.

Edited by Plant42, 28 October 2015 - 04:01 AM.

#5 gamerman99 GameBoy

gamerman99

Chozo Myth Keeper

• GameBoy GameBoy
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 07:15 PM

IGN gave it a 9/10. Heard a story rumor, but have heard it twice. I dunno if it's people trolling though.

I know I've asked this before, but I've played Halo 4 and really enjoyed it. But can someone (Prime) explain to me (Prime) the bridge from the Halo 4 ending to where we are today, and spoiler free if possible. I know you've mentioned it before but how is Agent Locke in the picture, was he/she referenced since Halo 2 or something? Are the main baddies the same enemies from Halo 4 (forget the name of that alien type) And what happened to the main bad dude from Halo 4 to the beginning of Halo 5 (again as spoiler free as possible please).

I'm sure the enemies are similar, but honestly, I don't even know if I've seen any game play trailers or anything other than really the marketing between John & Locke. Partially because busy as fuck, partially because don't wanna spoil, partially because no Xbone but that'll change soon.

#6 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 07:33 PM

While a fair bit happened between Halo 4 and 5, most of it isn't all that important really. The Spartan Ops campaign from Halo 4 is really all you need. If you didn't play it you can just watch the cutscenes online, but all you need to know is Catherine Halsey (creator of the Spartan program) got kidnapped (sort of) by an Elite named Jul 'Mdama, and together they found some weird Forerunner stuff.

This is the first game Locke is in, properly anyway - he was created for Halo 5. In Halo 2: Anniversary (from the Master Chief Collection) they added bookend cutscenes that frame the game as the Arbiter telling Locke the story of Halo 2, as well as hidden video logs (terminals) that flesh out Locke a little. He was formally introduced in Halo: Nightfall, which is basically his origin story. None of this is necessary for Halo 5 in any way though.

The Prometheans (Forerunner AIs) from Halo 4 are major enemies again, yes. They got overhauled a good bit though. Knights (the big ones) are now much rarer, are now equivalent to Hunters in terms of power, and can no longer teleport. Watchers (the flying ones) are a little less effective. They also added a new enemy, Promethean Soldiers, which are more humanoid, weaker than Halo 4 knights, are faster, and can drive vehicles. They can also teleport, but they have no shields and you can follow their teleportation much easier.

The Didact basically died in Halo 4. In between Halo 4 and 5 he came back, and basically died again in a fight against Chief and pals. That's basically it.

#7 CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

has no sense of humor

• Chozo Chancellor
  • 6,859 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:49 AM

just posting to say that I"m still a grumpy grumple mc grumperson over coop and other nonsense that's in this game.

#8 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:33 AM

just posting to say that I"m still a grumpy grumple mc grumperson over coop and other nonsense that's in this game.

Having played it, this game would have run way too badly in co-op. If you think H4 on 360 was rough in splitscreen, this would have been worse. It just wouldn't have worked. The levels and combat encounters are much too big for the framerate to hold up in splitscreen, and they already had to make a lot of sacrifices to get that locked 60fps. Which like I said, the internal gameplay systems require. And 60fps definitely does have significant positive impact on gameplay for this game, it's not just a bulletpoint. It's one of *the* reasons everyone is gushing over the gameplay being best in the series.

I'm also bummed there's no splitscreen, but this game would have never been able to pull it off without being substantially different than it is now.

#9 CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

has no sense of humor

• Chozo Chancellor
  • 6,859 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 02:09 PM

Having played it, this game would have run way too badly in co-op. If you think H4 on 360 was rough in splitscreen, this would have been worse. It just wouldn't have worked. The levels and combat encounters are much too big for the framerate to hold up in splitscreen, and they already had to make a lot of sacrifices to get that locked 60fps. Which like I said, the internal gameplay systems require. And 60fps definitely does have significant positive impact on gameplay for this game, it's not just a bulletpoint. It's one of *the* reasons everyone is gushing over the gameplay being best in the series.

I'm also bummed there's no splitscreen, but this game would have never been able to pull it off without being substantially different than it is now.

Halo 4 ran fine on splitscreen. I've put tons of hours into that thing without any problems. There are some levels that lagged online because of lighting, but only a few.

As to everything else, I can't comment. I don't own the game and see no real reason to buy it, especially given that Chief is only in like 20% of the game. Talk about killing the two big reasons I love Halo.

#10 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 02:40 PM

Halo 4 ran fine on splitscreen. I've put tons of hours into that thing without any problems. There are some levels that lagged online because of lighting, but only a few.

As to everything else, I can't comment. I don't own the game and see no real reason to buy it, especially given that Chief is only in like 20% of the game. Talk about killing the two big reasons I love Halo.

Really, you thought it ran fine? I mean yeah, it was playable and I had fun when I played splitscreen, but it ran <20 fps. It was kind of noticeable/rough.

As for Chief/the entire story, I'll have to make a super post on that topic later. I'm tagging this even though it's not really spoilers, but I'd recommend anyone playing now or soon not to read this: It was rough. Really rough. And disappointing as hell. Like, I've never been more disappointed in a story, ever. I've read the comics, the books, every little piece of in-game lore, watched both web series/the anime/all canonical videos, and listened to the radio dramas. Everything and shit-tons of it. And this one game... Fuck... It just broke me. I just... Ugh. And Halo 4 was easily my favorite in-game Halo story. What happened 343i... What happened...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users