Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

RUMOR - Sony Trying to Trademark "Let's Plays"?

sony playstation playstation 4 lets play trademark rumors

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ngamer01

Ngamer01

Level 9000

• Odama
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:35 PM

http://www.technobuf...mark-lets-play/

I don't know how reliable the news is or what's true/fake, but word has it Sony is trying to trademark "Let's Play" as it relates to people recording gameplay (and perhaps commentating over/with said gameplay).

The trademark has not been approved with a note that Sony can refile the trademark application once they resolve what the trademark reviewer has cited.

We don't know if Sony itself filed the claim originally or if it's a computer bot that is trying to get a trademark application in order for the botmaster to false flag all gaming footage and person info off YouTube for possible trademark/copyright suits.

#2 Kezay

Kezay

Level 2

• X Parasite
  • 575 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:34 PM

Can they really trademark something like that with such a general association?  In my mind I'm thinking maybe it's something more specific like say a minigame thing for PSVR or something, a sort of introductory software to the tech like WiiSports was to the Wii Remote or something.

#3 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:03 PM

Can they really trademark something like that with such a general association?  In my mind I'm thinking maybe it's something more specific like say a minigame thing for PSVR or something, a sort of introductory software to the tech like WiiSports was to the Wii Remote or something.

I mean, King trademarked "Candy" and "Saga", so...

They could probably do it if they managed to make the contexts in which it's protected just few enough that it passes.

#4 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:10 PM

I mean, King trademarked "Candy" and "Saga", so...They could probably do it if they managed to make the contexts in which it's protected just few enough that it passes.

How is that fucking legal? It's a fucking word! Why doesn't Nintendo trademark "Super?" Are only Nouns trademark-able? Still dumb either way. So now nobody besides the faggots over at King can make a Candy Land game anymore, unless they rebrand it? I was thinking the same thing as Kezay when I saw this thread.

#5 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:12 PM

How is that fucking legal? It's a fucking word! Why doesn't Nintendo trademark "Super?" Are only Nouns trademark-able? Still dumb either way. So now nobody besides the faggots over at King can make a Candy Land game anymore, unless they rebrand it? I was thinking the same thing as Kezay when I saw this thread.

IIRC both trademarks only applied to videogame titles and I think "candy" might have had additional restrictions, but yeah, it's fairly shitty. Welcome to US copyright and trademark law.

Apparently they abandoned the "candy" trademark though, so I guess there's that.

#6 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:37 PM

IIRC both trademarks only applied to videogame titles and I think "candy" might have had additional restrictions, but yeah, it's fairly shitty. Welcome to US copyright and trademark law.Apparently they abandoned the "candy" trademark though, so I guess there's that.

Well, it's extra fucking annoying because "Saga" is misleading and misappropriated as a title for a shitty-ass, mindless mobile puzzle game with no story--or at least not one befitting the word "Saga" if it has a story at all.

Does any other developer own the rights to any words that you know of--besides definitive names like "Donkey Kong?"

#7 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:52 PM

Well, it's extra fucking annoying because "Saga" is misleading and misappropriated as a title for a shitty-ass, mindless mobile puzzle game with no story--or at least not one befitting the word "Saga" if it has a story at all.

Does any other developer own the rights to any words that you know of--besides definitive names like "Donkey Kong?"

There was some fuckery with Bethesda and the word "scrolls" a while back, but they didn't quite own the word. They just made a legal argument that anything using the word was close enough to their trademark for "The Elder Scrolls" that some people might find it "confusing". Which was bullshit, because no one actually uses the franchise name anyway. Their games are more or less exclusively referred to by their subtitles (i.e. Oblivion, Skyrim).

The game that brought the whole thing up was Mojang's Scrolls.

#8 Kezay

Kezay

Level 2

• X Parasite
  • 575 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:28 PM

I mean, King trademarked "Candy" and "Saga", so...

They could probably do it if they managed to make the contexts in which it's protected just few enough that it passes.

I actually completely forgot about this.  Well... dang.

#9 torgo

torgo

Grand Poobah of Chozo Shriners

• Kraid
  • 3,414 posts
  • Nintendo ID:TorgoKong
  • 3DS Code:3866-8871-2120

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:35 AM

Guess Not So Much for Sony: http://kotaku.com/so...s-pl-1752469842

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users