Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Microsoft to allow cross-platform multiplayer

Xbox Live Microsoft Sony PSN PlayStation Xbox Nintendo Network Nintendo cross-play

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:23 PM

Microsoft announced today that they're finally allowing and supporting cross-platform multiplayer, not just between Xbox and PC, but Xbox and competing platforms. The last time Microsoft allowed cross-platform play between Xbox and a competing console (PS2), was Final Fantasy XI, which released on Xbox 360 back in 2006. Microsoft's refusal to support cross-play is the primary reason why its successor, Final Fantasy XIV, skipped Xbox platforms. Outside of a rare few cases has historically disallowed cross-play between Xbox and PC as well.

What will come of this is down to developers, as well as of course Sony and Nintendo, but both have historically been okay with the concept. Furthermore, the developers of Rocket League have already announced Xbox/PC cross-play will be coming to the game, and have hinted that three-way cross-play between Xbox, PC, and PlayStation is currently planned for sometime this year.

Interestingly, if developers take advantage of this it could potentially be bigger news for Nintendo fans than anyone else, as online third party titles on Nintendo consoles have historically been plagued with small player-bases. A wide adoption of cross-play could effectively see play-counts skyrocket on Nintendo platforms. Granted, that is a big if, as there is a fair amount of work required (developers would have to manage their own network/party/matchmaking systems), but some publishers/developers are already close to having the infrastructure required. EA for instance has always used their own network and servers, meaning that much of what they would need to do has already been done.

#2 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:34 PM

This is cool, but I think it's prematurely stealing some of Nintendo's upcoming thunder. Nintendo has already said that the NX will be interacting to some degree with other devices, including consoles such as the PS4. Nintendo may have had some sort of "cross-platform megaton" to drop in the coming months, but now it'll be more of a "me too." :P

#3 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:51 PM

Nintendo has already said that the NX will be interacting to some degree with other devices, including consoles such as the PS4.

No, they didn't. That was a rumor reported by the Wall Street Journal based on unfounded speculation from one analyst.

Also, Nintendo already allows cross-play with various platforms, though only small downloadable games have taken advantage of it.

#4 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:02 PM

No, they didn't. That was a rumor reported by the Wall Street Journal based on unfounded speculation from one analyst.

Also, Nintendo already allows cross-play with various platforms, though only small downloadable games have taken advantage of it.

This is the first I've heard of this. What platforms do this?

Also, it's gay that Sm4sh3D and Smash4U don't have cross-multiplayer. I excused it before since "Nintendo never did/allowed something like that before," but now it seems like there was truly no excuse at all.

#5 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:26 PM

Cubemen 2 is cross-play between Wii U, Windows/Mac/Linux, and iOS. Dreii is cross-play between Wii U, PS4/Vita, Windows/Mac/Linux, iOS, and Android. I've seen people say Pure Chess is Wii U/PlayStation cross-play, but I can't confirm it. At the very least it should be cross-play with PC/Mac and iOS.

There's a lot of reasons why Smash 3DS and Smash U wouldn't support cross-play. It's not arbitrary. Off the top of my head, different rendering resolutions and assets can have an have repercussions on physics calculations. Perhaps more importantly though, they aren't ports of each other, rather they were both built from the ground up for their respective platforms. While they're obviously not completely different games, they are much more distinct than say, a PS4 and Xbox One version of the same game. Smash is too fast and too complex and the two versions are too technically distinct for it to be a plausible endeavor. Especially since the 3DS has to take a lot of shortcuts to keep up, and I'm not sure how well any "hacks" used to get it running will play with the Wii U version. It's not impossible, but there's a lot of work that would have to be done, and it would probably hamper the Wii U version more than anything.

#6 Kezay

Kezay

Level 2

• X Parasite
  • 575 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:29 PM

This is the first I've heard of this. What platforms do this?

Also, it's gay that Sm4sh3D and Smash4U don't have cross-multiplayer. I excused it before since "Nintendo never did/allowed something like that before," but now it seems like there was truly no excuse at all.

There may have been technical reasons for it since the rare times Nintendo platforms has had crossplay with each other they weren't exactly big games or anything like that. Even on Wii there was crossplay between the Wii/DS version of FF:CC Echoes of Time however the Wii version of the game was essentially just the DS version ported over.  It's not like the DS game had its default visual style while the Wii version looked like the original FF:CC or something like that.

EDIT: Or just read Prime's post, far more informative with associated examples. :P

Edited by Kezay, 14 March 2016 - 03:30 PM.

#7 Hollis_

Hollis_

Level 1

• Geemer
  • 111 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:38 PM

Microsoft wants Xbox to be a software platform rather than a hardware platform so it stands to reason they probably want their shit on other people's hardware now too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users