• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:32 PM

According to a report from Kotaku, they have heard from multiple developer sources that Sony is currently working on "PS4.5", or as Nintendo would call it the "New PS4". Supposedly this new model will include a high-end GPU capable of rendering many PS4 games in 4K, with one developer nicknaming it the "PS4K". This enhanced processing power could also be leveraged by Sony's PlayStation VR headset, in order to be more competitive with high-end PC VR experiences. Sony is also mandating consistent 60FPS framerates (or higher) for PS VR games, so this boosted power may become necessary for high-end PS VR games down the line.

Beyond this, little is known, such as pricing, if and how customers could upgrade, when it will be coming, etc.

Source: http://kotaku.com/so...s4-5-1765723053

#2 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:52 PM

I BETTER be able to fucking upgrade my shit. Like, a fucking Expansion Pak. I'd love to play my PS4 games in 4K on my 4KTV, even though you already told me that--judging from the price--I prolly can't run 4K60... But still. While this kinda worries me, I also think that Sony won't blackball their current user base, which outnumbers Xbone users and is on track to become the best selling console in history. They MUST have something in place to allow it's users to upgrade our enhance their PS4s... If not, then fuck Sony. Ugh...

#3 gamerman99 GameBoy

gamerman99

Chozo Myth Keeper

• GameBoy GameBoy
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:09 PM

Bur realistically though, we all know to get this you've probably gotta buy the new version of the console like the *NEW* N3DS

#4 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 11:32 PM

I BETTER be able to fucking upgrade my shit. Like, a fucking Expansion Pak. I'd love to play my PS4 games in 4K on my 4KTV, even though you already told me that--judging from the price--I prolly can't run 4K60... But still. While this kinda worries me, I also think that Sony won't blackball their current user base, which outnumbers Xbone users and is on track to become the best selling console in history. They MUST have something in place to allow it's users to upgrade our enhance their PS4s... If not, then fuck Sony. Ugh...

I'd be pretty damn surprised if they let you upgrade your console directly. I'm really not sure how that would even work since the PS4 doesn't have any special ports for that, and I don't think they could get a secondary GPU running over USB3.0, at least in any sort of plausible way.

An exchange program though, maybe. But then folks may potentially lose their beloved P.T. installs.

Really though, I think this is the way the industry is heading. We already know Microsoft is looking into incremental upgrades for the Xbox One, so the revelation that Sony may at least be exploring the possibility is far from surprising. Combine that with the facts that both the Xbox One and PS4 are have already been far from cutting edge for years now and that consumers in general are already used to continuous incremental upgrades of other devices, it seems like it could be an eventuality.

#5 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 05:39 PM

The Wall Street Journal just reported on it. Meaning this is definitely legit.

#6 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 05:44 PM

The Wall Street Journal just reported on it. Meaning this is definitely legit.

It's been pretty much confirmed by other outlets before, too. Sounds like this could be something as marginally improved as a PS4 Slim with a bigger HDD. Reports have said that the power won't be able to output 4K in games outright, tho; or at least certainly not at 60fps.

#7 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 04:43 PM

More potential details are leaking out. Biggest is that the GPU will be "twice as powerful", with a significantly increased clock speed, which is obviously a massive upgrade. The price for this would be $399.99, with the base-PS4 dropping down to $299.99 this year. Supposedly Sony is also mulling over a major CPU upgrade as well (the CPU is proportionately the weakest part about current gen consoles, so that would be huge), which could drive the price up to $499.99, which would be Sony's price ceiling.

#8 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 04:52 PM

More potential details are leaking out. Biggest is that the GPU will be "twice as powerful", with a significantly increased clock speed, which is obviously a massive upgrade. The price for this would be $399.99, with the base-PS4 dropping down to $299.99 this year. Supposedly Sony is also mulling over a major CPU upgrade as well (the CPU is proportionately the weakest part about current gen consoles, so that would be huge), which could drive the price up to $499.99, which would be Sony's price ceiling.

FUCK!!! >:(

Then what would happen to the "millions" of "early adopters"?! This is hella gay. As with the New 3DS, if devs so desire, they could make their games be PS4.5-exclusive, except this shit would release way closer to PS4 launch than New 3DS launched to 3DS...

#9 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 04:58 PM

I don't think PS4K-exclusives will be the norm, at least for a good few years (maybe some rare PC-ports that would have never been targeted at consoles and a very small handful of tech showcases), but you will be seeing several games with notable performance gulfs between the two consoles. Particularly considering that console developers are already starved for more power with the PC market being so far ahead already.

Ideal cases will be basically what you see now: current gen games are basically the "medium"-settings equivalent of PC games, and PS4K (and Xbox 1.5) versions will basically be PC-games running on "high" settings. There will be cases though were OG PS4 games perform unacceptably bad, like Hyrule Warriors 3D (fine on n3DS, shouldn't-be-released-tier on OG 3DS) though. Of course, we're already seeing very poorly performing games hitting consoles, like Just Cause 3, which was clearly designed with high-end PCs in mind. So it's kind of an inescapable scenario what with Sony and MS skimping on power and the growth of the PC market since last generation.

#10 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:55 PM

Giant Bomb is reporting new details for the PS4K, reportedly codenamed "NEO":

CPU: 8-core Jaguar at 2.1GHz (vs. the PS4's 8-core Jaguar at 1.6GHz)
GPU: AMD GCN, 36 CUs at 911 MHz (vs. 18 CUs at 800 MHz)
Memory: 8 GB GDDR5, 218 GB/s (vs. 176 GB/s)

So a modest bump to the CPU, a significant boost to the GPU, and faster RAM. Seems to be no real architectural changes, so no notable efficiency gains. Apparently games running on PS4K/NEO will have an addition 512MB of memory available to them, despite the total RAM available being the same. I suppose the faster RAM and increased processing power allowed them to shrink the OS's footprint on the 4K/NEO?

Also, something fairly big: Sony will be banning PS4K exclusives, both in full and in part (as in, no PS4K exclusive modes or content). Sony will also be requiring all PS4 games released from October on to feature a "NEO" mode, which must feature improved performance.

Some more, general points: The PS4 and NEO will be sold concurrently, with the NEO being the premium model. Both systems will feature the same UI, same shop, same everything.

http://www.giantbomb...d-ne/1100-5437/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users