• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 11:51 PM

It's looking quite possible Kotaku may close sometime in the not-so-distant future. Gawker Media, Kotaku's parent company, just lost a $115m case against Hulk Hogan over a sex tape they posted a while back, and then refused to take down after a judge ordered them to. Gawker likely doesn't have anywhere near that much cash on hand, meaning the entire network (also including Gizmodo [tech blog], iO9 [science and sci-fi], Lifehacker [DIY, general tips], Jalopnik [cars], and Deadspin [sports], and Jezebel [women's topics]) may be forced to shut down. While Gawker can appeal the case, it seems unlikely they'd win the appeal (despite Gawker founder Nick Denton's claims to the contrary) and they'd still have to fork over $50m before an appeal could be made anyway, which they also likely don't have.

It's possible Kotaku may be sold off, but it's not necessarily a sure thing. Even if Kotaku does manage to find a buyer, the site would likely have to change quite radically in how they operate (meaning much of their most in-depth reporting may cease, such as their past investigations into Bungie and Silicon Knights) and would probably lose much of its staff in the transition.

Spoiler

#2 gamerman99 GameBoy

gamerman99

Chozo Myth Keeper

• GameBoy GameBoy
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 06:45 AM

It really sucks that they may be closing for such a reason. I liked Kotaku, although I didn't visit it as frequently as IGN. It usually had more relevant Nintendo rumors, and usually beat IGN to the punch of things though.

#3 CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

has no sense of humor

• Chozo Chancellor
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 06:54 AM

It's pretty shitty that the actions of a handful of people could cost the jobs of 5+ websites worth of reporters/editorial writers. I mean, I've grown to really hate Gawker and all of its subset websites (clickbait + shitty journalism for the most part), but it's still lame to see such big sites with well-known writers go down over...well, something this fucking stupid.

I also really hate how a celebrity filming themselves fucking equates to BIG FUCKING NEWS GUYS. It's not. People fuck. We know this because there are lots of people out there. We tend to breed like people.

It all needs to stop :\

#4 torgo

torgo

Grand Poobah of Chozo Shriners

• Kraid
  • 3,414 posts
  • Nintendo ID:TorgoKong
  • 3DS Code:3866-8871-2120

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:45 AM

Interesting news/development regarding (possibly) the real reasons behind the lawsuit:

http://gawker.com/re...roll-1778549060

#5 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 01:00 PM

Interesting news/development regarding (possibly) the real reasons behind the lawsuit:

http://gawker.com/re...roll-1778549060

Reason #6 will blow your mind?

Anyway, I think I saw on the news today that Gawker was denied a chance at an appeal. Looks like Kotaku will be fucked for sure now.

Edited by PBluafnotr4d2, 26 May 2016 - 01:07 PM.

#6 Sage AtownKED

AtownKED

Level 4

• Sage Sage
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:46 PM

Wow, this is incredibly shitty. I like all of the gawker sites. Sucks that they're going down this way.

#7 CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

has no sense of humor

• Chozo Chancellor
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 03:38 PM

Wow, this is incredibly shitty. I like all of the gawker sites. Sucks that they're going down this way.

We need to have a serious intervention about your shitty taste

#8 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 03:52 PM

We need to have a serious intervention about your shitty taste

Rofl, I was gonna express something similar, but not nearly as hilariously as this. :P

#9 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 05:34 PM

Gawker has a lot of great sites though, even if the centerpiece site is a steaming pile of shit.

#10 CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

has no sense of humor

• Chozo Chancellor
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 05:49 PM

Gawker has a lot of great sites though, even if the centerpiece site is a steaming pile of shit.

iO9 is really the only good one, IMHO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users