Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

What's Old is New Again: NES Classic Edition Coming Nov. 11; Preloaded with 30 NES Games!

nintendo nintendo entertainment system nes classic edition retro hardware tiny nes is tiny

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Ngamer01

Ngamer01

Level 9000

• Odama
  • 6,162 posts
  • Nintendo ID:Ngamer01
  • 3DS Code:4038 6174 8183

Posted 14 July 2016 - 05:21 AM

http://www.nintendol...s_with_30_games

In a surprising announcement, NoA has announced the NES is coming back to store shelves on November 11th with NES Classic Edition, a miniture NES that has 30 NES classics preloaded on the console.  This NES is HDMI compatible.

From Reggie Fils-Aime:

We wanted to give fans of all ages the opportunity to revisit Nintendo's original system and rediscover why they fell in love with Nintendo in the first place. The Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition is ideal for anyone who remembers playing the NES, or who wants to pass on those nostalgic memories to the next generation of gamers.

The 30 NES Games that are Preloaded:

Balloon Fight
BUBBLE BOBBLE
Castlevania
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
DOUBLE DRAGON II: THE REVENGE
Dr. Mario
Excitebike
FINAL FANTASY
Galaga
GHOSTS 'N GOBLINS
GRADIUS
Ice Climber
Kid Icarus
Kirby's Adventure
Mario Bros.
MEGA MAN 2
Metroid
NINJA GAIDEN
PAC-MAN
Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
StarTropics
SUPER C
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
TECMO BOWL
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Edited by Ngamer01, 14 July 2016 - 05:23 AM.

#2 Bobby Lee "Buford" Robok

Bobby Lee "Buford" Robok

The Villain of Mario Kart

• Flaahgra
  • 2,149 posts
  • Nintendo ID:RobokW
  • 3DS Code:3523-2685-0069

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:11 AM

I'm surprised about the amount of 3rd party games on there. Nintendo is making friends again? No, just making money

#3 torgo

torgo

Grand Poobah of Chozo Shriners

• Kraid
  • 3,400 posts
  • Nintendo ID:TorgoKong
  • 3DS Code:3866-8871-2120

Posted 14 July 2016 - 07:25 AM

Dang it, I don't want this, but I want it! I blame my mother, I got the collector's gene from her I think.

Maybe I should get it, and then for all of next summer, the only games Torgina can play are on this thing. Show her what it was like to spend a summer in the late 80s (and the only TV she can stream on YouTube during the day is soaps, news, and current event/political talk shows from PBS). That'll make it authentic.

Maybe if this thing sells, Nintendo will realize that if they priced their VC games like this (let's say 99 cents, considering this includes hardware that VC games wouldn't) they'd sell a ton of them, rather than pricing them at $3 or $4 at the low end.

#4 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,180 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:28 PM

So I saw something about this right when it was announced, but I thought it was some unofficial product that would definitely be killed, haha.

It seems this doesn't support NES cartridges, which is a shame, but ah well. I don't have any myself, but it would be a neat feature. I think the controller might have me more interested in the console itself to be honest, as it's Wii Remote compatible and will work on Wii and Wii U Virtual Console games. This is also compatible with the Wii Classic Controllers too, so if you have one you don't need to buy a second controller for 2 player games. But hey, they're only $10 anyway, which is awesome.

I'm wondering what the guts are. I'm guessing a stripped down/modified Wii with a hardware upscaler?

Also, the emulator they're using supports multiple suspend points. Hopefully that functionality gets brought over to the NX Virtual Console (and more ideally, the Wii U VC as well, but it won't happen).

Wonder if we'll get more of these. It would be pretty awesome to get at least a SNES Mini, and an N64 Mini would be awesome, even if I have a working N64, lol. At the very least I really hope Nintendo brings back the SNES Classic Controller and introduces an N64 Classic Controller. Then we'd have the complete array of Nintendo controllers useable on Wii U, and perhaps NX.

#5 torgo

torgo

Grand Poobah of Chozo Shriners

• Kraid
  • 3,400 posts
  • Nintendo ID:TorgoKong
  • 3DS Code:3866-8871-2120

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:41 PM

The official website is up now: http://www.nintendo.com/nes-classic Looks like the planned launch date is 11/11 - a special birthday present for Plant!

Of particular interest on the page is the "Classics" logo at the bottom. Maybe implying other Classic systems for the future?

#6 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,180 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:05 PM

The official website is up now: http://www.nintendo.com/nes-classic Looks like the planned launch date is 11/11 - a special birthday present for Plant!

Of particular interest on the page is the "Classics" logo at the bottom. Maybe implying other Classic systems for the future?

Yeah, a lot of people have been pointing that out on GAF. The logo is also on both the console and controller boxes. At the very least this indicates they're open to it. I'm guess it will depend on the sales of this.

By the way, another observation I left out of my original post: with this releasing just a few months before the NX, does a new Wii Remote compatible controller indicate that the NX will support the Wii Remote, or at least Wii Remote extensions?

#7 gamerman99 GameBoy

gamerman99

Chozo Myth Keeper

• GameBoy GameBoy
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:42 PM

I love the idea of this. Hopefully they do one for SNES. I actually had about 4 different people at work today ask me about it.

#8 Ngamer01

Ngamer01

Level 9000

• Odama
  • 6,162 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:48 AM

http://gonintendo.co...ct-external-sto

Nintendo announced the NES Classic's restrictions:

>> No wi-fi support.

>> No external storage support.

This means the system is not able to have new games added to it and you can't backup your data either outside homebrew/pirating (they're gonna try hacking NES Classic obviously).

Edited by Ngamer01, 15 July 2016 - 07:50 AM.

#9 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,481 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:44 AM

By the way, another observation I left out of my original post: with this releasing just a few months before the NX, does a new Wii Remote compatible controller indicate that the NX will support the Wii Remote, or at least Wii Remote extensions?

No, it doesn't; it confirms that the NX will get delayed to November 2017. :P
I kid, though honestly this might be an effort to make money and appease fans/damage control if they're really planning to delay the NX.

Anyway, one of the first things I thought about was the possibility of other games. It would probably require as many crazy-hard days and months of blood, sweat, tears, piss, and bullshit to put a single game up on a potential NES Classic Shop as it does on the eShop, but I wanna see more shit there, like Rad Racer, Guerrilla War, and Yo Noid!

#10 Ngamer01

Ngamer01

Level 9000

• Odama
  • 6,162 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 02:57 PM

http://gonintendo.co...-the-nes-classi

Nintendo of Canada has posted some of the stuff the preinstalled NES games can do on NES Classic Edition.

What is interesting is that we can play through HDMI, but there will be different modes of how we will see the screen – a mode simulating the retro aspect of our old CRT screens, there will be a mode which can be at the resolution of the modern screens in 4:3 format, and a pixel perfect mode which will display each pixel as a square, so people can have fun with this too.

Yes, there will be permanent save points and instant temporary saves to be able to resume and that’s for every single of the 30 games, so we don’t have to worry if we don’t have a password, or restart right at the beginning…”

Edited by Ngamer01, 07 August 2016 - 02:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users