Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

What's Old is New Again: NES Classic Edition Coming Nov. 11; Preloaded with 30 NES Games!

nintendo nintendo entertainment system nes classic edition retro hardware tiny nes is tiny

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#11 torgo

torgo

Grand Poobah of Chozo Shriners

• Kraid
  • 3,414 posts
  • Nintendo ID:TorgoKong
  • 3DS Code:3866-8871-2120

Posted 07 August 2016 - 06:43 PM

I like the translation on this, with the whole, "... so people can have fun with this too." at the end. Like the person expects people to spend hours of giddy excitement switching between graphics modes for the games.

#12 Ngamer01

Ngamer01

Level 9000

• Odama
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 04:04 AM

http://gonintendo.co...p-for-pre-order

Pre-orders have opened up on Target for anyone interested.

#13 torgo

torgo

• Kraid
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 05:57 AM

While I have no doubt it's lightweight, I had no idea it came with a hard drive! ;)

(Grabbed from the Target page):

Attached File  NESClassicHD.png   16.88KB   0 downloads

#14 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:42 AM

While I have no doubt it's lightweight, I had no idea it came with a hard drive! ;)

(Grabbed from the Target page):
attachicon.gifNESClassicHD.png

I get that you're just being technical, but I don't see how you gather that it comes with a hard drive. I thought the anal thing to say is a comment about HDD versus the reality of flash memory or SD card space.

Edited by PBluafnotr4d2, 16 August 2016 - 07:43 AM.

#15 torgo

torgo

• Kraid
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:20 AM

I get that you're just being technical, but I don't see how you gather that it comes with a hard drive. I thought the anal thing to say is a comment about HDD versus the reality of flash memory or SD card space.

I commented about the hard drive because the description uses that term, which doesn't even apply to this device. :) Plus, any internal storage like that is irrelevant to the product, since there's no mechanism to store arbitrary (or even user-selectable) data in there. Most NES games didn't take up more than 512k, I think the largest one was 1 meg. 30 megs of total storage would be more than enough to store all the games and all the save states you could ever want, with room to spare.

I can't imagine than an NES emulator would take up 2 gigs on a purpose-built device, even with a minimal OS under it. I mostly point and laugh at the fact that the amount, method, and relevancy of this bullet point appears to be pulled out of someone's ass at Target.

#16 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:11 PM

palnt cant do anything right

Target's not the only one either, I think another online store had a bullet point for a 1 or 2 GB HDD, because I remember making fun of it on GAF. :P

Odds are for hardware listings like this those shops' product management system have a "Storage capacity" field by default and whatever intern plugged in the info shit out a random number rather than disabling it. :P

#17 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:13 PM

I thought this was a thread about Federation Force when I last posted here, lol.

#18 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 10:20 AM

Looks like the emulator was written by NERD (Nintendo European Research & Development, formerly Mobiclip and Actimagine), and is a brand new emulator, so no Wii/Wii U emulator reuse. Additionally, it seems possible that the console itself was developed by NERD.

NERD previously wrote the DS emulator for Wii U, the "super stable" 3D for the New 3DS, and the Wii U web browser's media player, as well as doing the legwork to get retail Wii games up for download on the eShop. Before being purchased by Nintendo they developed video codecs for games on Nintendo consoles and cell phones.

#19 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:12 PM

The Japanese equivalent, the Nintendo Classic Mini: Famicom has finally been announced, with a release date of November 10. Here's the trailer:

What's likely much more interesting for anyone outside of Japan is that they also released some more feature details, as well as glimpse of the UI, which presumably will be similar (if not identical) to the NES version.

00000418_31.jpg
Ctj3P3-WcAA1HfH.jpg

We also have a look at two of the display modes the system will offer, 4:3 mode and CRT mode:

00000418_32.png

In addition to these two modes there will also be a pixel perfect mode, just like the SNES VC emulator on the New 3DS.

And for thoroughness, here's a comparison of both version's exclusives titles:

NES Mini:

• Bubble Bobble
  • Castlevania 2
  • Donkey Kong Jr
  • Final Fantasy
  • Kid Icarus
  • Punch Out
  • Startropics
  • Tecmo Bowl
Famicom Mini:
  • Yie Ar Kung-Fu
  • Atlantis no Nazo
  • Solomon's Key
  • Tsuppari Sumo
  • River City Ransom
  • Final Fantasy 3
  • Mario Club Golf
  • Downtown Street Challenge

#20 torgo

torgo

• Kraid
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:14 PM

Dammit, Prune, I was gonna post this and be the hero!

Why you take that away from me?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nintendo, nintendo entertainment system, nes, classic edition, retro hardware, tiny nes is tiny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users