#31 torgo

torgo

Grand Poobah of Chozo Shriners

• Kraid
  • 3,410 posts
  • Nintendo ID:TorgoKong
  • 3DS Code:3866-8871-2120

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:15 AM

What ways so you guys think connectivity will be innovated and streamlined for 5ma5h? I hope that we'll be able to easily and super quickly connect to anyone's game within eyeshot. I also wish there'd be a way to play with GCN controllers without the Switch bring docked, but I'm probably fucked on that one.

You could do it, but it would be laughably complicated.

In theory you could use a USB-C to USB-A converter, and then plug the adapter into that. Then you'd also need some sort of battery power supply to plug the other USB connector in to (one is controller data, the other is power, as I understand). Or you could plug a USB hub into the Switch, and then get some kind of external power for the whole hub.

Either way ... you'd look silly. :)

#32 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,211 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:53 AM

Yesterday an exciting thought crossed my mind.

How will Switch interconnectivity work with 5ma5h? Switches seem to cooperate in the most interesting and seamless manners.

Mario Party is shit, but that swiping-to-connect-2-Switches-into-one-map tech was truly impressive. I don't think there's any room/use for that specific mechanic in a Smash game (aside from extending the monitors, which would suck for Smash anyway), but it still demonstrates how easily Switches can connect with one another.

What ways so you guys think connectivity will be innovated and streamlined for 5ma5h? I hope that we'll be able to easily and super quickly connect to anyone's game within eyeshot. I also wish there'd be a way to play with GCN controllers without the Switch bring docked, but I'm probably fucked on that one.

While the Mario Party thing is really quite clever, it's not nearly as technologically impressive as you think. Those two consoles are already connected to each other over a local wireless connection. The "swipe" is just setting a point of reference for each game session. That is, when your finger touches the edge of Switch A, you're just telling Mario Party "this is the section of the map that can be passed through", likewise for Switch B. Thus, you could even simultaneously swipe the edges of Switches several feet apart and the games would just assume those sections are touching.

Then you'd also need some sort of battery power supply to plug the other USB connector in to (one is controller data, the other is power, as I understand). [/font]

The first USB also powers the controllers. The second one is exclusively for powering the rumble motors. The adapter and controllers will operate without the second USB, you just won't get rumble.

The Switches will most likely just connect in Smash local play the same way it's always been done. Someone will create a game session, and everyone else will search for local sessions. If Sakurai was so inclined they could implement some kind of unique auto-pairing via audio cues or the IR sensors or NFC, but all of that could have been done on n3DS and none of those methods are much more convenient than a standard session browser.

#33 Lame "PBluafnotr4d2" 87421F

PBluafnotr4d2

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame "Buford" 87421F
  • 13,527 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:11 AM

When you say "first/second USB" is there a difference between the black and gray one, or does it just function as "1 USB = play; 2 USB = play+rumble"?

#34 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,211 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:38 PM

When you say "first/second USB" is there a difference between the black and gray one, or does it just function as "1 USB = play; 2 USB = play+rumble"?

Yeah, the two different USB plugs are distinct, so you'll need to at least have the correct one plugged in to use it. I believe the black one is the one that powers the hub and transmits data, while the grey one powers the rumble feature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users